Digging Oahu

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I "dug" (more like walked about) at this spot for a few hours. It was a looong hike to the area. My digging buddy had visited the spot a few times before but this was my first. I just had a hand drawn map with me so finding the exact spot took about two hours, hiking in rough terrain with much less than half a trail to follow.
1000000646.jpg

We did pass by some old terraces and walls as well as an old model T frame. Eventually we got to the spot and wandered around for another two hours. For the most part, it was surface pickings which was nice. The most digging we did was pick a few bottles already halfway outta the ground.
1000000645.jpg

We found stuff of good age but mostly 20s-40s sort of stuff. The liquid sunshine is a late teens abm I think. Lots of potential that I will be revisiting in the future.
1000000642.jpg

Walked out with a decent haul. Two local Ewa Sodas, Pat-D no town coke, a Kirin Beer, some odds and ends. Highlight of the hunt was that small cobalt blue bottle.

Made by the Hoshi Medicine Company circa 1915, this bottle probably held some sort of concoction based on traditional Japanese medicine and modern Western cures. Who knows what was exactly inside. Usually these come in amber so getting one in cobalt is nice.
b4a57d65-7093-4a67-8311-38dfbea8d2cd-1_all_3888.jpg
b4a57d65-7093-4a67-8311-38dfbea8d2cd-1_all_3899.jpg

I also found this nice Japanese stoneware bowl which I pieced back together. A friend of mine told me that he dug the exact same style and size of bowl at this site some years ago.
b4a57d65-7093-4a67-8311-38dfbea8d2cd-1_all_3897.jpg

That's all I have for you lovely folks. Hopefully I am going digging again this Saturday.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
That little blue med is a beauty! I quite like the plate too. Are Cokes without place names common in your area? I'm wondering if it's a military Coke with the 1944 date, but I thought those were usually clear?
We have lots of town name cokes but we do have generics from before 1915 and from 1941-1945. After statehood, town names also dissappeared. I had the opportunity once to hunt Schofield barracks from which most of the cokes below came from. The four at middle left (melted, two clears, and the aqua in between) are generics with no town name. All four were found in areas with military activity. Two from Schofield, one from Lake Wilson area, and the melted one from Yokohama Bay (on Oahu, not Japan).
1000000675.jpg

Interestingly, the clear cokes are different. One is a Pat-D and the other just says "Trademark". The aqua in between as well as the melted one are both pat-Ds but no town name.

Below is an example of one with a town name. Dated 1952 this is the large "T.H." version. I believe there are 37 different coke variations in Hawaii from every county. I only have a select few.
1000000676.jpg

Last edited:

wikiwiki

Reaction score
I "dug" (more like walked about) at this spot for a few hours. It was a looong hike to the area. My digging buddy had visited the spot a few times before but this was my first. I just had a hand drawn map with me so finding the exact spot took about two hours, hiking in rough terrain with much less than half a trail to follow.
View attachment 257708
We did pass by some old terraces and walls as well as an old model T frame. Eventually we got to the spot and wandered around for another two hours. For the most part, it was surface pickings which was nice. The most digging we did was pick a few bottles already halfway outta the ground.
View attachment 257709
We found stuff of good age but mostly 20s-40s sort of stuff. The liquid sunshine is a late teens abm I think. Lots of potential that I will be revisiting in the future.
View attachment 257710
Walked out with a decent haul. Two local Ewa Sodas, Pat-D no town coke, a Kirin Beer, some odds and ends. Highlight of the hunt was that small cobalt blue bottle.

Made by the Hoshi Medicine Company circa 1915, this bottle probably held some sort of concoction based on traditional Japanese medicine and modern Western cures. Who knows what was exactly inside. Usually these come in amber so getting one in cobalt is nice.
View attachment 257711View attachment 257712
I also found this nice Japanese stoneware bowl which I pieced back together. A friend of mine told me that he dug the exact same style and size of bowl at this site some years ago.
View attachment 257713
That's all I have for you lovely folks. Hopefully I am going digging again this Saturday.
Nice score of surface bottles! Imagine what is hidden below…

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyHippy88