Druggist Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shaqair

Reaction score
The full name of this druggist was REINHOLD VAN DER EMDE. He was actually a pretty famous and influential New Yorker but I can not find any information on the actual bottle. Based on context found I would guess this bottle dates somewhere into the 1870s.

Attachments

• 20240326_205732.jpg
    20240326_205732.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

Toma777

Reaction score
I can't find anything about the bottle either.

"Born in 1842 in the Waldeck region of Germany, Reinhold Van der Emde studied pharmaceuticals in Switzerland before immigrating to the United States in 1867 and finding employment with druggist Henry Diedel, who had immigrated from Germany in 1855 and operated a pharmacy at 875 Third Avenue in the 1880s. Diedel was made a principal of the Yorkville Bank, as was Bernhard Amend, also a druggist. Van der Emde, who during his lifetime was also a trustee of the German Savings Bank and the German Liederkranz (one of the earliest German musical societies founded in New York City, in 1847), served as president of the Yorkville Bank until his death in 1909."

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Looks like a French Square Style druggist's bottle. These were first produced in the 1870s reaching their heyday in the 1880s-90s. They kind of fell out of fashion being replaced by ovals over the decades. They disappeared in the 1920s to my knowledge although plastic versions are still made today.

Is your bottle an applied, tooled, or machine made top? I believe these can also be found pontiled but I'm not confident about that.

Shaqair

Reaction score
It's definitely not pontiled or machine made. Either applied or tooled but i'm not sure how to tell with this sort of bottle. I can not see a seam running along the neck at all which would imply it's an applied top i would think. I found this bottle in a small pit with other bottles which I believe date into the mid to late 1870's which kind of fits the timeline you provided.
Looks like a French Square Style druggist's bottle. These were first produced in the 1870s reaching their heyday in the 1880s-90s. They kind of fell out of fashion being replaced by ovals over the decades. They disappeared in the 1920s to my knowledge although plastic versions are still made today.

Is your bottle an applied, tooled, or machine made top? I believe these can also be found pontiled but I'm not confident about that.

Attachments

• bot1.jpg
    bot1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • bot2.jpg
    bot2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Hezezilla

Reaction score
It's definitely not pontiled or machine made. Either applied or tooled but i'm not sure how to tell with this sort of bottle. I can not see a seam running along the neck at all which would imply it's an applied top i would think. I found this bottle in a small pit with other bottles which I believe date into the mid to late 1870's which kind of fits the timeline you provided.
It's safe to assume the bottle is from the 1870s and is not a later throwback.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2