Hello, all. New here.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Slappy_Kincaid

Reaction score
The reason I'm here is that I've walked in the woods many times, and there are countless pieces of junk littering certain spots. One day, my mom suggested that I bring some of the bottles home. Well, I filled a laundry basket with bottles, and brought them home (I could hardly lift my arms.) unfortunately, I live with my parents, and they didn't much want hundreds of glass bottles, so I threw away all but the pepsi bottle and the crush bottle and some "AA" brown bottle. The other day, I went back and realized that there were many more under ground, many broken by roots and such, but many cool bottles. I got a few more pepsis and a canada dry and a 7up, etc. After frittering online, it seems that they're all from the sixties or late 50's, but they're in rough shape. I'll go get more when I get the time. Sorry, I'm rambling. I do have a question, though. I'm looking at the base of this swirl design pepsi bottle, and on the side of the base, there's a circle indented. It's not a chip, it looks more like a bubble or something? Maybe I'm just not observant and all bottles have them, or is it the result of some archaic bottle-making technique?

#1twin

Reaction score
Slappy, That circle indention is on all the swirl Pepsi bottles of that time. You will find it on various other soda's as well. It is made from the Machine, as suspected. Welcome to the forum!

Marvin

digdug

Reaction score
The indented circle you are talking about was used when appling the paint to the soda bottles. This would align the bottle with the paint applicator so it would not be painted on a seam. It also would allow multi-color paint to be applied one color at a time. Such as a Pepsi bottle, they would apply white, then have to run the bottle again to apply the red oval around the white oval and red 'Pepsi-Cola' text.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC