Muriatic Acid Safe for ACL Soda Bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Augusta GA

Reaction score
I have a few ACL soda bottles that have really bad stains to include a tar-like substance. Is it safe to use a degreaser or muriatic acid to clean them? Any other suggestions?

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I have a few ACL soda bottles that have really bad stains to include a tar-like substance. Is it safe to use a degreaser or muriatic acid to clean them? Any other suggestions?
Muriatic is completely safe. It will not damage glass at all. To the best of my knowledge there are no degreasers that will damage glass either. All this applies to embossed bottles. ACL (applied color labels) are a different matter. Have fun.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Good information. Thanks.

Can anyone suggest something to remove tar-like substances?
I my experience diesel fuel works best. Has a strong smell so you may want to let it soak in a well ventilated area. Takes a lot of patience to remove tar/gooey substances as it could be anything.

Augusta GA

Reaction score
Are there any commercial products that are safe and recommended for cleaning ACLs with tough stains/substances.?

Burkenhill

Reaction score
Are there any commercial products that are safe and recommended for cleaning ACLs with tough stains/substances.?
I have always found that mineral spirits, not to be confused with paint thinner, worked very well for me to take off goo, tar and stuff that nothing else worked on. Its relatively cheap, easily available at the hardware store and has taken off all manner of disagreeable substances. Possibly harder to find but a product here in Canada called Pink Solution, works really well is non toxic and environmentally friendly. It takes grease and tar-like substances out of carpet. Used it for that a few times and saved my bacon. Its water soluble
Rick in BC.

Augusta GA

Reaction score
I have always found that mineral spirits, not to be confused with paint thinner, worked very well for me to take off goo, tar and stuff that nothing else worked on. Its relatively cheap, easily available at the hardware store and has taken off all manner of disagreeable substances. Possibly harder to find but a product here in Canada called Pink Solution, works really well is non toxic and environmentally friendly. It takes grease and tar-like substances out of carpet. Used it for that a few times and saved my bacon. Its water soluble
Rick in BC.
Excellent. That will hopefully work. I will certainly try it. Thanks!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artsy