Sanborn maps question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

miker31567

Reaction score
Does anyone know the symbols on the sanborn maps? I am questioning what the D, DWG or DWg means on the buildings. I'm thinking its dwelling, correct? NO? And I think S was one of them too. Store, or shop maybe? I seen a bicycle shop business in a 1901 directory, and on the sanborn maps of that time it had an S on the building. Any other questions I have, I will add to this post as I have them. My parents house is on the sanborn maps too and I'm pretty sure it has the DWg on it. It is the first and only house in that spot ever that we know of and was built around 1820-1830. I am going to their house in a few minutes to dig up some weeds in their backyard, I poked a bunch of times with a probe the other day and felt quite a bit of softish, crunchy stuff close to 3 feet down. Hopin there's some goodies under there !!! Hope to see some responses to this one as I have some nice stories to tell of my parents house and neighborhood. Well...Time to go to moms. Wish me luck, I'm goin in !!![8D]

diggerman

Reaction score
The Sanborn digital map site has a key. It is found by clicking help, under FAQ click on features. There is an index and key.The link is http://sanborn.umi.com/HelpFiles/bwkey.pdf
hope this helps out. Sometimes it is a little difficult to read. Perhaps another member knows of a clearer copy. These maps are invaluable for finding the position of buildings, as well as there uses. Sounds like you have a good spot. Look forward to seeing what you find.

lexdigger

Reaction score
You really need to see the KEY for each map you are looking at. I've found that in the same city the Key can change over the years. For the most part though, you're right, DWG or something along those lines usually means dwelling. You want to focus on the Original property Lines to find the privies. Good Luck! Chris

miker31567

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I actually had to put the dig off cuz my dad had to go to the hospital. He has pneumonia. He's ok now, but the dig unfortunately has to wait for a couple days. Thx again for the responses. Oh yeah, one thing about my parents house. A few years back me and my bro and my dad tore off a pantry and back room off their house and under the floor boards were some news papers from the 1920's I think it was, but Al Capone was plastered all over the paper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Gunnels