What is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
A few years back I bought a small collection of milk glass. Mostly covered dishes which I later discovered to be Flaccus product jars. This was in the lot, and I have never been able to identify it. Covered 'dish' in footed cup form. The head is removable. The shield on the front is smooth, as if a label would have gone there. Above the shield is a banner that says E Pluribus Unum.

It fits in with the Pro-American motif of the Spanish-American war, ca. 1898-1900ish, that was popular in a lot of the Flaccus dishes.

Anybody have any ideas?

WP_20130904_001.jpg
WP_20130904_004.jpg
WP_20130904_002.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
From what we are told in a book titled" Milk Glass" authored by Betty & Bill Newbound published / copyrighted in 1995 on page 76 he is named "Old Abe Eagle Jar". He should be 6 1/2 inches tall, and is attributed to Crystal Glass Company. It was originally a mustard jar. The book shares the story of how Old Abe got his name, I found it pretty interesting. Apparently he was an actual live animal circa Civil War era.

The book valued the piece at $100 - $125 for whatever that's worth. By the way, this book is available if anyone is interested. Buy or trade, email me privately so I may send you additional pictures upon request. jsinsley38 at yahoo dot com

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Interestingly enough, I was in the 101st Airborne in the Army, whose mascot was Old Abe. Still wear it on the crest to this day.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC