1924 Ketchup Bottle, Heinz?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
Is it Heinz or an imposter? Here is an 8-sided ketchup bottle with a crown top, manufactured by Owens Bottle Co. in 1924 at the Fairmont WV plant. I have checked the Heinz codes and I find the bottles in this period are listed as screw topped. Any thought or information is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7982.JPG
    IMG_7982.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7984.JPG
    IMG_7984.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7985.JPG
    IMG_7985.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 40

Hezezilla

Reaction score
It looks like they just swapped out the screw top for a crown top. It still has that ring at the base of where the screw cap would sit. They did this same technique when switching from cork stoppers to crown/screw tops back when the automatic bottle machines were first introduced. Who knows why they were doing this again in the mid 20s? Maybe their screw cap machine broke or something.

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
It looks like they just swapped out the screw top for a crown top. It still has that ring at the base of where the screw cap would sit. They did this same technique when switching from cork stoppers to crown/screw tops back when the automatic bottle machines were first introduced. Who knows why they were doing this again in the mid 20s? Maybe their screw cap machine broke or something.
Besides the top, I wondered why the base doesn't have the Heinz 57 embossed on it like most of the Heinz bottles from that period. Still I think it is a Heinz bottle because Owens Bottle Co. had a contract to produce bottles for Heinz during that time period, so why would they have risked producing a knock off bottle for another brand. Anyways, that's my thinking so far.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Besides the top, I wondered why the base doesn't have the Heinz 57 embossed on it like most of the Heinz bottles from that period. Still I think it is a Heinz bottle because Owens Bottle Co. had a contract to produce bottles for Heinz during that time period, so why would they have risked producing a knock off bottle for another brand. Anyways, that's my thinking so far.
More contracts means more money so I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped out the top just for another competitor.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score

Here's a link to a thread I posted a couple years ago, to date it's the only Owens Bottle Co. bottle I've found.
Guessing mine to be a soda bottle.

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
I had one that looked the exact same, I sold it at our yard sale though
I just put this one up to sell, it caused me to dig out 8 other ketchup bottles with various marks for a small study. I don't believe any of them are worth much without a label but they are still a bit interesting to me. The funny thing is if this style of bottle had of held beer or soda, folks would love them.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothy m razer