2004 Hospital Dump Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Here are a few photo's of a huge dump in Southern Maine. This is the dump site of a late 1800's hospital. It's spread over about 2 acres and is directly behind a housing development. We were literally 20' from someones back door in these photos.

We do not excactly have permission but they know we are there. It's city property so no one seems to bother us. We are sure to fill our craters in so all is good

I'm strictly a guest digger here. My friend Glassworx found this one and has been working it for a few years. The depth is about 8' and it is packed with artifacts. He dug here just about everyday this year and there is still plenty left.

Some of our best finds have been a pontilled Boyd & Beard mineral water, Dr. Huntingtons Golden Tonic Bitters from Portland Maine, a large 3 sided amber poison, and a handled J.E GOOLD Stoneware jug. Several thousand local and regional medicine and druggist bottles have also been dug.

Here is a nice brown glazed bean crock I dug at about the 7' level. Check out the sweet use layers !!!

100_0477.jpg

A few minutes later Nitro(Portland med. man) pulled out this killer poison

100_0476.jpg

Here is Glassworx excavating a nice find

100_0475.jpg

A few of the days finds

bidig2.jpg

bidig.jpg

f8acfd50.jpg

portland med. man

Reaction score
ah yes what a big and lovely dump almost need a cart to haul your finds out afterwards remember when ymou had that sick nose bleed after diggin that one thought your brain was falling out from so much diggin in the depths hahahahah i`ll post a pic of the poison later ...

bearswede

Reaction score
Just a thought, guys...

Digging any dump has its dangers, but a 19th century hospital dump might warrant extra precautions...

In the words of the immortal Sgt. Esterhaus: "Be careful out there!"

Ron

Mainepontil

Reaction score
I know.. Everyday I dig there I wonder what toxic plague we might uncover.

If I die of some mysterious illness we'll know where if came from.

No.... but really we do take precautions like never dig alone, never get lazy and start tunneling and NEVER dump a bottle full of goo. Other than that it's just like any other 100 year old dump. Use common sense.

We did get a few different things though. Check out what my friend found.

This is GROSS [:'(]

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Great stuff coming off that dump guys!Keep the stories and pictures coming!

KAT

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cemrik1980