Dump Discoveries - Two separate dumps, one location - one 1920s/30s, one 40s-60s

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I noticed one of these in your recent finds. I have found a few of them, the one in the photos has no marks besides a 5 on the base. I suspect 1930s, maybe 1920s but that's a guess. Any idea of what they held or any better idea on the date? Thanks
I've also wondered exactly what they hold - I've probably found 20+ in varying sizes at this dump. The ones I usually find are marked in the same way - a single number on the base, which I assume is a mold number. I'd agree that they're probably late 20s to the late 30s.

My best guess is something like an olive, but I'm truly not sure. I'll be turning some of them into Halloween decorations this year.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I noticed one of these in your recent finds. I have found a few of them, the one in the photos has no marks besides a 5 on the base. I suspect 1930s, maybe 1920s but that's a guess. Any idea of what they held or any better idea on the date? Thanks
I found a picture of a labeled one, it contained sweet gherkins.
1717444833948.png

This earlier example of basically the same design contained olives.
1717445417112.png

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
View attachment 255580
View attachment 255582
View attachment 255580
View attachment 255582
Excellent, I have been curious about these jars for almost a year. Do you believe the 1906 date on the top label to be the package date or possibly sell by date? That would put the jars a bit earlier than I had thought. The walls of the jar are quite thick and uneven. I see the est. 1863 date on the lower label.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
View attachment 255580
View attachment 255582
Good to know that my assumption was right - just something about the shape I guess. I assume these were closed either with a glass top and wire bail (like the others in the first picture) or some kind of press top - if it is the glass ones I'm amazed to have not found any that match the size of the mouths of the ones I find.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Good to know that my assumption was right - just something about the shape I guess. I assume these were closed either with a glass top and wire bail (like the others in the first picture) or some kind of press top - if it is the glass ones I'm amazed to have not found any that match the size of the mouths of the ones I find.
I don't think it was a glass stopper because like you say, they never show up alongside them. Usually glass stoppers will be far more plentiful than the bottles they went to, since they're less likely to break.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Excellent, I have been curious about these jars for almost a year. Do you believe the 1906 date on the top label to be the package date or possibly sell by date? That would put the jars a bit earlier than I had thought. The walls of the jar are quite thick and uneven. I see the est. 1863 date on the lower label.
The 1906 date refers to the passage of the Pure Food and Drugs Act. I think it was probably from within a decade or so of that year though, because as far as I can tell the labeled jar is BIM.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I don't think it was a glass stopper because like you say, they never show up alongside them. Usually glass stoppers will be far more plentiful than the bottles they went to, since they're less likely to break.
That is true. I would guess some type of tin press-top then

Sitcoms

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've updated this thread - since June I've only been out three times! Busy times and uncooperative weather are to blame, but I have found some interesting items for sure this year even with the limit digging time. I've focused all my effort on the older dump, with better discoveries to be found there. As a little bonus here's my current collection shelf/wall, including the cream of the crop of those Necco signs I found. Some of those will be going up for sale soon!

image14.jpeg

The first three are from a dig in late June that honestly didn't produce many keepers.

image15.jpeg

This is the base to what is known as a "fairy lamp", which were pretty popular by the late 20s and into the 30s. Beautiful little piece of glass.

image16.jpeg

A good ole Mellin's Food jar, sample size. From what I understand the sample size is actually the most sought after?
image0 (2).jpeg

Not embossed in any way, but a beautiful deep cobalt bottle. Strap-sided, 8 panels in total. Thinking a fancy milk of magnesia - there's a white film stuck to the inside.
image1 (2).jpeg

Pfeiffer Chemical Co. / New York / St Louis.

image2 (2).jpeg

GRODER'S / Botanic Dyspepsia Syrup / Waterville, Maine / U. S.
This one was unfortunately busted, but apparently was a great bottle to still bring home. A local collector/digger of over 30 years told me that he's never seen this bottle in clear, only in aqua.
image0 (3).jpeg

This dump loves to produce license plates. a Little rough on the edges, but a beautiful 1927 Maine plate with the original paint.

The next few were from the middle of July, after our intense heat finally died down.
image1 (1).jpeg

Beautiful clear med bottle; I believe it says "S.S. Lightbody Co.", but I can not find anything related to it.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Continuing:
image2 (1).jpeg

Dr. Daniel's Veterinary Colic Cure No. 2. These came in a box with two doses for your animal. This bottle has a slightly purplish tint to interior, I believe from the original product.

image3 (1).jpeg
image4 (1).jpeg

One of my favorites so far. It reads "Perkins American Herbs / The National Herb Co. / Washington / D.C." on the front, while the rear has table and tea spoon measurements.
image5.jpeg

DeKuyper's Squareface - Newer than the others - interesting to see a company recreate a case gin bottle in the 50s-60s. Has the Federal Law Prohibits" wording on the rear.
image6 (1).jpeg

This one wasn't dug, but found underneath by barn! I live in a circa 1830 home, with an attached barn that's not much younger. Between mid-July and early August we had the flooring supports replaced (they had rotted), and while I was preparing the space I found this beautiful bottle in the crawlspace below. "J.S. Towne / Pharmacist / Brunswick, Me"

The next three are from another less-than stellar outing in late July:
image0 (4).jpeg
image1 (3).jpeg

"Goulding Maple Syrup Co., Whitman, Mass / Cap. 23 Fluid Ozs Net, Weight about 31 1/2 Ozs" - Definitely a weird one. this bottle is really badly beat up with multiple deep internal dings, huge chips taken out of the surface, and a bevy of scratches. Amazing it's still in one piece.
image3 (2).jpeg

Hard to get the embossing, but I've found several of these Dr. True's Elixir bottles. This is the first one that seems to still contain the original contents! "Dr True's Elixir / Established 1850 / Dr. J.F. True & Co. / Auburn, ME"
image11 (1).jpeg
image12 (1).jpeg

This beautiful button - I assume from a peacoat of some kind.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Finally, a dig from last week. More fruitful and better bottles than the previous two digs.
image4 (2).jpeg

This trio came out one after another, mostly in my tailings! "Humphrey's / Homeo Med Co. / New York"

image5 (1).jpeg

"Richard / Hudnut / New York" Love the Fleur de lis' embossed on this bottle - I assume a perfume/colonge
image6 (3).jpeg

"Valentine's / Meat Juice". I had heard and seen other people dig meat juice bottles, but this one is my first.
image7 (1).jpeg

This came from a layer above the main dump layer - Old Grand-Dad Whiskey.
image8 (1).jpeg

"Parisian Sage / A Hair Tonic / Giroux MFG Co. / Buffalo"
image9 (1).jpeg

I believe this is a harrier's tool, used for removing horseshoes. Honestly it's in really great condition for having been stuck in the mud for 80+ years.
image10 (1).jpeg

This was the find of the day. I have two smaller amber Vose & Lugues (one busted - one complete), but this one is much larger, clear, and has really heavy embossing.
image13.jpeg

I have yet to find a complete piece of crockery, but this is the closet I've come - a complete lid with a few chips.

Hoping to get out a few more times once the weather cools down into September and October and before our ground freezes up!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29