7 foot cross blade saw

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
I was looking through one of the first spots I've ever found after school today. There's not really a big pile of stuff, just some metal junk scattered in the woods behind a barn. I've found a couple clorox bottles and a ghosted acl RC Cola before. But today I decided to tromp around some before it starts getting too green. Anyways, I found another clorox and a couple junk 70s beer bottles. Then I saw this thing sticking out of a clump of vines. I assume I haven't seen it in previous years because I've always looked when the leaves were covering up what was sticking out of the ground. Only about a quarter of it was visible but the remaining was just under an inch or two of dirt and briars. So after digging around with my hands a couple minutes, I decided to go get some tools. I come back with a small garden rake and a hoe. After about another 10 minutes of digging and getting poked by briars, I revealed a 7 foot cross blade saw abandoned many generations ago.
20230405_165822.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that looks like it's in pretty good condition! Looks almost good enough to be sharpened up and put back into use.

embe

Reaction score
Some people use these as rustic decor mounted to the side of a shed/barn. Pretty cool find

CCB420

Reaction score
I also acquired one, that the grand paw in law had mounted in his woodworking shop, in the house demo'd from storm! One handle I'm willing to bet is original, other was obviously replaced! But about what time period we talking about those guys being used, and what, could a person expect if he were to sell?

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
The first mass produced chain saw became available in 1927 by Emil Lerp. Andreas Stihl held the patent for first electric chainsaw in production in 1926. It would probably be safe to assume that these wouldn't completely, or at least mostly, replace 2 man cross cut saws until the early 30s.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Depends where you're talking about and tree sizes. I've seen some of the saw blades from way back when around here, and pictures of the trees.

Still today, there's no chainsaws for the mammoth old growth timber!

Very cool saw BTW.

gdog68

Reaction score
If your going for rustic farm decor these saws make perfect mounting peices. I have two smaller ones with decayed handles hanging up at the barn along with some old hanging farm scales and lanterns. Nice find

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28