Big chunk of glass...slag?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Yooper14

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was out walking the other day and tripped over this big old chunk of glass. Turns out there was a whole field of it. In researching the area, it was near an old glass factory. Must've been their refuse pile. There are all sorts of colors of glass out there. Is there any market or use for this stuff?
Thanks
Yooper

Lj22724.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22724.jpg
    Lj22724.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 203

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Yoop, Check out your local recycling facility and see if the buy glass in quantity.
Don't tell them where you get it or the send folks out to pick it all up. Some collectors like to put chunks in there collections too, especially if they know the history.

flasherr

Reaction score
People wil buy slag glass. I have sold alot of it. they like to put it in aquariums and gardens. you will get more if you try selling it at flea market, pet store, or garden center than recycling it.
Brian

IRISH

Reaction score
A few interesting bit's of slag glass in your collection looks great I think. Caps is right about aquariums too, I know a few aquarium people who like it.

annie44

Reaction score
I think that is very cool. I would definitely purchase some for display with my bottles, if I didn't think that the shipping would be really high. I imagine those chunks of glass are pretty heavy. What other colors did you find?

Yooper14

Reaction score
Annie,
There's a lot of shades. Some almost black, lots of shades of green, lots of blues. I have a deep blue one, like cobalt, and a light sky blue shade. I can get them in all sizes...from probably 15 pounds down to little tiny pieces.
Let me know if you want any particular kind...I'll go looking for you
Yooper

annie44

Reaction score
My bottle collection is all about color - that's why I thought it would look great to have some of the glass in various colors situated in my cabinet. I like the large pieces but probably something tennis or baseball size would be more reasonable to ship. I think it would look great to have teal, emerald green, a reddish amber, just a variety. If you email me what you would want for the pieces in addition to shipping, and some pics, maybe we could work something out. Thanks!

Yooper14

Reaction score
Okay Annie. I'll go look and see what I can find, maybe tonight or tomorrow. I'mnot sure I ever saw any red pieces, but I'll check again.
Tim

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
ive got a bunch of that stuff! mine is black, but when held up to the light its purple. if anybody wants some, let me know! ill tell you what flea market im taking it to next. Matt.

Pato

Reaction score
Hey Yooper!
Are you still able to get glass slag in colors? I'm really interested in getting a few pieces. I want to have a professional flintnapper make some arrowheads out of colored glass, but its really hard to find old slag. Let me know if you can still get it and how much you would like for it. I live in Washington state, but I'm willing to pay for shipping. Thank you!
Pato

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessrm2018