Cadmium Concerns

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
In nature our first warning is usually colour. We instinctively view red as a dire warning and green
as OK. Yellow is a cautionary colour. For example, although tomatoes are a lovely red and safe to
eat, the leaves and stems are a deadly toxin. Yew berries and many choke cherries are red too.
I cannot explain why, but I stray away from red, orange and yellow peppers. Green is good. Red
means stop, green means go and yellow means go like hell! Nature's like that.

shopping.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

It has proven that much of the brightly colour glass is unsafe to use. Cadmium is the main
culprit and was used, and is still used to colour glass. Oranges and yellows are a concern
while blue and aqua have become the most trusted. Sometimes poisons are in cobalt rather
amber bottles, but perhaps in a safe dose the blues are harmless. I'll let you medicinal types
confirm this. Clear glass is the pinnacle of safe containers. Most pharmacies use these.

Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpeg

In ancient times King Solomon used a signet ring to summon the Djinn. Nobody can confirm its colour but ts symbol is synonymous with good. I suspect it was an emerald. Red signet rings have
been viewed for centuries as symbols of evil, sometime disguised as something else. I think of
Hitler every time. Moses, on the other hand, summoned a Djinn named Al Kidr. King Arthur sported
a mythical green gem as did Bilbo Baggins, but its not really all that far fetched. English pagans
revered the Green man (Al Kidr) of which much of Lord of the Rings was inspired.

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-6.jpeg
Unknown-7.jpeg

In the world of Gems, diamonds are a girls/guys/bots best friend. The less colour the better, unless they are blue. Blood diamonds are bad. Yellow diamonds are somewhat ok. Enough said. Be careful out there!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Is there any actually proven danger to using glass coloured yellow with cadmium, as opposed to glass with ACL decals coloured with cadmium? I know with the ACLs there's the issue of them wearing off over time, but I haven't seen anything about cadmium leaching out of yellow glass itself. I've heard of there being some issue with storing liquids in lead crystal, but miminal risk from just using it for drinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artsy