Can anyone provide some good resources for a crash course to good repairs on chipped and broken-topped bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Attached is my gorgeous Coalton hutch that I picked up today at a show. The only problem is that it has the top broken clean off of it (the lines circled in red are the crack that forms the break). It fits together perfectly, but that doesn't help much if I leave it alone! I'd love to learn how to do a very good repair. To the extent that I would need to tell people it's repaired. As I understand it, repairing is very much an art, as well as some physics such as matching the refractive index of the glass and mixing pigments. Can anyone give some good resources on how to get started? Thank you!
Kramer unedited.jpg

embe

Reaction score
For a clean break like that I imagine superglue (sparingly) is all it would take.

MountainMan304

Reaction score
For a clean break like that I imagine superglue (sparingly) is all it would take.
Well, I'd prefer it to be as clean a repair as possible with minimal evidence that it was broken. Using superglue, if it doesn't have the same refraction index, will make it look like a flash crack.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51