Just When You Thought You'd Seen Everything...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
s-l1600-1.png

s-l1600.png

Made in Canada, eh?

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I see this a lot with ALL types of products. It does show how common old beverage labels are as well as how common old beer bottles without labels are. Very sad on the part of the seller/owner. The class amber colored, ladies leg neck bottles have always been used for beer products. I'm sure if one would check the date codes on the bases of that pair, they would see the bottles are also more modern than the labels.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I would agree...but I have never seen a single dot Canadian label let alone on a bottle which actually is made in Canada and matches the date of the label... wondering why and who distributed this one? Pretty hard to fake both...late 1950s...

my first instinct was export but to America? I don't think so. Then I pictured a disposable
bottle on a Canadian ferry bound for the USA. Villa Park, ILL is where its from, or found anyway. Thats a Can-Am ferry serviced town...

Last edited:

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I would agree...but I have never seen a single dot Canadian label let alone on a bottle which actually is made in Canada and matches the date of the label... wondering why and who distributed this one? Pretty hard to fake both...late 1950s...

my first instinct was export but to America? I don't think so. Then I pictured a disposable
bottle on a Canadian ferry bound for the USA. Villa Park, ILL is where its from, or found anyway. Thats a Can-Am ferry serviced town...
I'm not far from Villa Park. What's a Ferry serviced town. I know it's Canadian, American

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

Villa Park is a landlocked suburb of Chicago, did Chicago have ferries to Canada in the 50s? I can't think where in Canada that ferry would have gone, doesn't seem like there'd be too much demand for a Chicago-Sault St. Marie route.

The labels are definitely weird and really don't look right with that total lack of a white border. I can't remember ever hearing about bottlers using special disposable bottles in that era. This type of beer bottle was also quite thin-walled compared to soda bottles of that era. I'm not sure if they would have even been safe for the higher carbonation levels of soda since it's not what they were designed for. Later NDNR bottles were even thinner but I believe it was only advances in glassmaking which made them possible.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Pepsi was famous for putting there labels on Beer Bottles. Coke was always #1 leader selling Coke at 5cents for 6 oz's. Pepsi had a plan & it worked. sell 12 oz's for 5 cents. By doing this it was the first time they ever outsold Coke. Pic of one of my Pepsis below.
pepsibottlebrewedbygrace.JPG

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Its an oddity for sure...glad I stirred up some discussion....I wonder if a boat skipped across the Great Lakes back in the 1950s from Canada to Chicago? I know bootleggers went to Chicago by boat but that was in the 1920s and 30s...Lake Huron to Lake Michigan was a long way by boat..bet it was scenic tho...

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Pepsi was famous for putting there labels on Beer Bottles. Coke was always #1 leader selling Coke at 5cents for 6 oz's. Pepsi had a plan & it worked. sell 12 oz's for 5 cents. By doing this it was the first time they ever outsold Coke. Pic of one of my Pepsis below.View attachment 258275
This is a champagne shape not a lady's leg / export bottle. I'm would not bet for or against this champagne being original either. I could only make a call looking at it in hand. Looks good though.

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
but don't ever tell a bottlebug "no"...until one shows up and can be verified in Canada, here's
the bottle bugs solution.

1) take those handy three. side images and make a label

Untitled 2.jpg

ok its rough but I only took 15 minutes on it before the bears wanted to eat...imagine
it printed on cheap label paper and reduced in size to increase the resolution. BTW
I patched some of the holes in my fifteen minute experiment...Maybe I'll spend some
more time on it tonight after another test bottle or two ;)

2) use a test bottle until you can find one "cheap" here's an empty from last night...

1726582530736.png

3) print a test then feed the bears...

1726582637365.png

1726582721199.png

my camera is dirty from getting food for the bears...sorry

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members