Canada Bud bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I found these two bottles side by side at an abandoned gold mine. They didn't have any name or anything, but I figured it was an alcohol bottle. I brought them home because I liked the colour and that they still had the cap. They sat in the corner of our barn for a couple years because I didn't really know what to do with them until now. I remembered that they still had the caps and I wondered if I could clean the caps to see a name, so I took them inside and cleaned them up. After a couple hours I was already starting to see paint, but I couldn't really make anything out. I let them soak over night and in the morning I could make out Canada Bud C.B.B.LTD trademark Special Bitter Ale. Both caps are exactly the same. I couldn't find out much about the company on the internet, but I was able to find pictures of a label that was probably on the bottle. The only difference is that the label says Canada Bud White Ribbon. I also found a picture of a bottle cap, but it's different and looks newer to me. The first bottle is green. It has no embossing on the sides. On the bottom there is the upside down "C" in triangle for Consumers glass company. It looks like there was a mistake because it there are three triangles on the bottom and a couple of partial triangles. The embossing is also very weak and hard to see. I've never seen that happen before. The other bottle is a darker green, almost brown colour. I'm pretty sure the two bottles were made in the same year some time in the 1930s. Any idea why they would be two different colours? On the darker bottle there is a 14 near the bottom on the side which I believe is a mould number. On the bottom is has the "D" in a diamond logo for Dominion glass company. The embossing is much better on this one with no mistakes. Above the logo is what looks like three dots in a line. Which I've never seen on Dominion bottles before. Below the logo is what looks like a backwards "F" which I have also never seen before. Does anyone know what those could mean? I'll put a picture of a drawing I made to help you see how it looks better. any information at all about the company or the bottles is much appreciated.

Thanks
-Austin
IMG_20240803_214119939.jpg
IMG_20240803_214511438.jpg
IMG_20240803_214224089.jpg
IMG_20240803_214340157.jpg
Screenshot_20240711-232654.png
Screenshot_20240711-231744.png
IMG_20240803_222235724.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240803_214547814.jpg
    IMG_20240803_214547814.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240803_214511438.jpg
    IMG_20240803_214511438.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those caps turned out really well! I've never even heard of this brewery before. The difference in colour is presumably because they were ordering bottles from different suppliers and didn't specify an exact shade of green. There's also a possibility that they were reusing bottles and not too concerned about their exact colour, I'm not sure how common that would have been in the 1930s in Canada. It was definitely common a few decades before that. I'm not sure what the other markings on the Dominion bottle would refer to, I don't think Dominion used date codes that early on so presumably some sort of internal coding system to denote molds/machines/factories.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I have seen many versions of this bottle and the Canada Bud label you were looking for. Its pictured in a very old bottle book entitled "Bottles In Canada" which was around for a bit in the 70s. All Canadian
breweries had standardized their bottles and were green, or greenish. Dominion made them in Montreal
and Consumers made therm out west. The early thirties is bang on. Pepsi used the exact bottles in the
1930s but they were used, not new. I was told that the dots indicated how many times they were put into
circulation. If that is true I could not say. The dots were on the stubbies I consumed back in the 70s.

BTW the backwards F is a French 7...remember Montreal is in Quebec.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
Those caps turned out really well! I've never even heard of this brewery before. The difference in colour is presumably because they were ordering bottles from different suppliers and didn't specify an exact shade of green. There's also a possibility that they were reusing bottles and not too concerned about their exact colour, I'm not sure how common that would have been in the 1930s in Canada. It was definitely common a few decades before that. I'm not sure what the other markings on the Dominion bottle would refer to, I don't think Dominion used date codes that early on so presumably some sort of internal coding system to denote molds/machines/factories.
That's what I figured about the colour, but I wanted to check to see what others thought. Thanks for the information!

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
I have seen many versions of this bottle and the Canada Bud label you were looking for. Its pictured in a very old bottle book entitled "Bottles In Canada" which was around for a bit in the 70s. All Canadian
breweries had standardized their bottles and were green, or greenish. Dominion made them in Montreal
and Consumers made therm out west. The early thirties is bang on. Pepsi used the exact bottles in the
1930s but they were used, not new. I was told that the dots indicated how many times they were put into
circulation. If that is true I could not say. The dots were on the stubbies I consumed back in the 70s.

BTW the backwards F is a French 7...remember Montreal is in Quebec.
Is it the Special Bitter Ale label that your talking about? If so could possibly send me a picture? I thought it looked like a Pepsi bottle. Part of me was hoping it was one, but I didn't think it would be. It's interesting about the dots. Would that indicate how many times the bottle was filled or what exactly? The french 7 makes sense. I'm guessing that's a mould number or is it a date code?

bottlebugs

Reaction score
sorry but the books long gone...but I can remember the label...It was just like below but said "special bitter ale"...the dots were to represent how many times they were sterilized and sent out again into circulation...or at least that's what the ol' timers claimed!

1722789763761.png

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
Thanks, I just remembered that this bottle is the one that has 14 on the side which I think is the mould number. If it is the mould number then that means that the French seven on the bottom would have to represent something else. What do you think the seven would be for?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rob2024sumter