Cathedrals

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

Yes, I have had them with lead labels for peaches, brandied pears, and other non-pickle foods. Some of the ones that came out of the Embarcadero project still had contents. IIRC, at least one contained oysters. The smells were disgusting. In another nearby site some of us got sick from digging in the rotten fish cans and stuff. The stink permeated the black ooze.
ORIGINAL: ktbi

Those are great Mike. I love cathedrals and you have some very nice examples. Were they used for anything other than pickles? I've seen pepper sauce bottles that look quite a bit like those - but nothing can compare to the pickles. Thank you for sharing.....Ron

LoL,...I can almost smell that dig from your description,...sounds disgusting but fun...Any I've ever been lucky enoug to dig were missing the lower corners...[:mad:] Those are really nice.

tigue710

Reaction score
Nice Pickles Mike! Interesting you found oysters in one... In a journal I read from the gold rush the author collected hundreds of pickle bottles along the shore of happy valley, (which he describes as littered with thousands!). He then bought vinegar and cucumbers from a merchant, filled the bottles and made a quick profit of 300 dollars in two days in the mines...

Could you imagine just walking along the shore of Frisco and picking up hundreds of gothic pickles?!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I do know that many cathedrals were broken and turned into windows in miner's cabins. Maybe that's why so many are found sharded in the surrounding area of the cabin sites. They also broke wine and champagne bottles to make candle holders from the necks. Some of the fragile bottles that came up those early trails by mule train survived by what can only be called a miracle. Most Northern CA camps were supplied from river towns like Sacramento and Marysville, where steam and sail boats were unloaded and the goods sent up to the mines. In some cases the trip was over a hundred miles.

tigue710

Reaction score
thats very intersting... on a recent dig tons of broken cathederal pickles were found, although usually just the shoulders, and tops... I was hopeful one would turn up whole but no luck, a good amount of very fragile berry bottles survived though, and spices! First bottle I bought in Cali was an open pontil spice, just as I hadnt really seen one before... needless to say Ive replaced it with a dug example now...

Stardust

Reaction score
Very Nice PICKLES Mike! I'd sure like to be in a pickle like that. [:D] Thanks for posting for us all to see. Must add to my wish list! *

embe

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me none, saw something new.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles