D.H. SMITH YONKERS, NEW YORK CODD

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
I have found another great spot. This time is an old stone foundation. The basement was filled with trash and stone. Lots of glass, blobtop pieces and broken bottles. Heartbreakers. I did manage to scope out the surroundings and almost had a heart attack. I looked over at an old tree stump and there on top was this codd bottle. I thought it might be English because I have seen pieces of them in this same area. I walked over and glad to see it was embossed had the marble then I saw it was from N.Y. and that was all I needed to see. Oh boy! Doesn't look like this thing was ever in the ground. No sickness. One small crack on the lip. You can hardly see it . It is a clean crack and I should be able to repair it. Hope you like.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I bought one of those bottles last month. American Codd bottles are scarce, only a few of thousands of US bottling companies tried using the British Codd bottle. They never gained popularity in the US for a couple of reasons, the American Hutchinson bottle was introduced at the same time 1879 which offered an easier to use closure. Though once universal throughout the British Empire they are only being used in two countries today, Japan and India. I tried the Japanese Ramune sodas and it's obvious why the closure didn't appeal to Americans.

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Found a broken one today. Never found an intact codd bottle yet.
View attachment 253064
I'd forgotten that there was a codd of D. H. Smith! I've found several D. H. Smiths, but only recently I found what I believe is part of that type of bottle. I imagined that it must belong to a blob ginger-ale bottle, but now that I see the shoulder area I see that it is clearly a codd. Very interesting, I'll be trying all the harder to find a whole one!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2