Different Variations

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kaidebbottles

Reaction score
My dad found the one on the right just a couple weeks ago, and I found the one on the left a little over two years ago.

They obviously look like different shades of aqua, and the one on the right does have a shorter neck.

The one on the right was found with a hutch stopper (still in the bottle) and a friend of mine has one similar to the one on the left, but with a lightning closure.

I think that the one on the right is a later, transitional blob/hutch, and the one on the left is earlier.

Thoughts?
208FA982-3C8B-4504-9A65-41FF435928E2.jpeg

hemihampton

Reaction score
From what I've been told in here & elsewhere is that there is no such thing as a Transitional Hutch & also been told would be impossible for a bottle like that to ever come with a Hutch Stopper. BUT, I've also found Bottles like that one on right & other oddball shaped Bottles with intact Hutchinson Stoppers freshly dug from the dirt so you know there were original. Leon.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Great bottles! I believe both bottles were made in the exact same mold, but obviously at different times and possibly by different glassworks. I have found many of these "square shouldered ponies" with hutch stoppers in them; it's clear that they worked in these bottles and companies extended the life of their bottles by converting them to hutch stoppers where they could. However, neither of the bottles you show were blown or designed to take hutch stoppers.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Great bottles! I believe both bottles were made in the exact same mold, but obviously at different times and possibly by different glassworks. I have found many of these "square shouldered ponies" with hutch stoppers in them; it's clear that they worked in these bottles and companies extended the life of their bottles by converting them to hutch stoppers where they could. However, neither of the bottles you show were blown or designed to take hutch stoppers.
I still am not very knowledgeable,in types and dates of bottles. What type of stoppers were used in those? I was told hutches didn't seal that good and had to be shipped up side down, and were ordered for party's and used that same day,being there was no electricity to keep them cold, they were mainly for events.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
My dad found the one on the right just a couple weeks ago, and I found the one on the left a little over two years ago.

They obviously look like different shades of aqua, and the one on the right does have a shorter neck.

The one on the right was found with a hutch stopper (still in the bottle) and a friend of mine has one similar to the one on the left, but with a lightning closure.

I think that the one on the right is a later, transitional blob/hutch, and the one on the left is earlier.

Thoughts?
View attachment 257074
The subject of a transitional hutchison to wire bail blob has come up before. Considering the popularity of both styles I see no reason for a transitional bottle. Bottles made during the Victorian era always had some versatility as to the types of closures used. Some worked OK, some didn't. Considering the importance of a good seal bottlers were open to experimentation but that a bottle made specially to accomodate both hutchinon and wire bail bottles is unlikely. It's just that some already had the ability when most didn't.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51