Family Ties

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
My luck of finding great collectibles is somewhat legendary amongst my friends. I always
get a tingly spider sense when I am about to find just what I am looking for. I often will
imagine what I'd like for only a second, and the image stays with me until I find it. The
joys of a photographic memory. It has been suggested that I posses a psychic connection.
Me? I dream of Genie! The Djinn always grants three wishes. I've also been told it's family
ghosts! Yikes!

Unknown-2.jpeg

Long before I moved to Ottawa, or learned about my family history, I watched a TV show
out west. Our local TV station (only one channel city boys, gals, bots) broadcast French
programming for an hour or so because it was out of St. Boniface, Manitoba, a French
speaking community. There was a show called the "Plouffes". I couldn't understand a word
they said but admired the Samedi Soiree tradition of clearing the chairs to the wall and
creating a homemade stage. In particular, an image stayed with me for years. A marionette
type wooden carving would dance on a board on the performer's knee. Very cool. Gimmee
a pair of spoons monsieur!

images.jpeg

Of course that image stayed in my head for years. When I moved to Ottawa I saw a few but they
were always priced way out of my paper route budget. I decided to make one out of a chunk of
maple destined for the fireplace. I still have it and haul it out of storage at Christmas time. I chose a
toy soldier and used what paint I had; blue and white and just a few drops of red.. It works great!

0.jpeg

A few years ago I was fortunate to find a book about my family history, written in French, by a distant relative. He talked all about the family's early days in New France. My first ancestor had been taken aside en route to New France and trained in specialized warfare. He and his companions were given brown monk like robes and dubbed "The Holy Family" in English. (Ste-Famille de Jesus) They were Montreal's first militia. In the 1600s France sent reinforcements to the growing village. They were called the the Kings Soldiers. My ancestor was promoted when his militia was absorbed by the Carignans.

Unknown-3.jpeg

The Carignan regiment grew and updated their uniforms to the match French colours. I felt that
tingly spider sense as I read all about them! dee-dee dee dee...

0-1.jpeg

Attachments

• 0-1.jpeg
    0-1.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 23

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley318