GI Dog Tag

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rockbot

Reaction score
Thanks for the concerns.

This was found at an old house dump site. Would the T46 tetanus shot date mean the enlisted date as well?

The only Japanese American unit was the famous 442 in WWII. All other Japanese were interned at that time. Although 1946 was just after the war.

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
The possible remains of a fallen soldier or his belongings far outweigh any stinkin' bottles my friend...

What's this supposed to mean? It wasn't all right for him to throw HIS stuff in HIS dump?

epackage

Reaction score
No, it means we don't know the story as to how the tags got there. What if the guy was killed there and buried in the dump, anythings possible...[;)]

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
And plane could also crash in my backyard. Sure, anythings possible, but I wouldn't condemn my dump for that one in a million chance.

IMHO tags should be sent to the FAMILY of the soldier. What is the Pentagon going to do with them? I'd be willing to bet they are locked away in a drawer somewhere, where they will never see the light of day again. They would never send them to the soldiers family.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Bottles r LEET

And plane could also crash in my backyard. Sure, anythings possible, but I wouldn't condemn my dump for that one in a million chance.

IMHO tags should be sent to the FAMILY of the soldier. What is the Pentagon going to do with them? I'd be willing to bet they are locked away in a drawer somewhere, where they will never see the light of day again. They would never send them to the soldiers family.
There are people at the Pentagon dedicated to the task of reuniting them with the family, however if you can do the research and find the family yourself I agree that would be optimum. Anythings better than tossing them in a drawer or throwing them away[:D]

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
'Lost dogtags are the Property of the United States Government. Lost dogtags are not the Property of the veteran who wore them, nor are they the property of the veterans family'

Straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/dogtag.htm

epackage

Reaction score
I refer you to line 3, and while this is the official thing to do I personally see no harm in sending them to a family that may not have many other things from the loved one they belonged to, if you can find the person or his or her relatives...

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
WOW.....
People kill me....
I don't know for sure but I would like to imagine he would be more than ok with letting the government look if it means finding something that may help the family locate, or find out more info about the young man who wore the dog tags.....

Interesting find Rockbot!! =)

rockbot

Reaction score
A lot of the Japanese had to abandon their homes during the war. Many stories of Japanese
hiding their personal stuff, gold, pictures etc so not to be confiscated prior to be interned.

Maybe this soldier just put his stuff in a box. This dump site had signs of the house, long rotted away along with an old redwood flume system. Down below the
cliff bank was a killer dump. I found the tags at the top of the cliff ledge.

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
It's ultimately your dump. If you decide to send it in, and tell them where you found it, you could lose your dump. Not my problem, but I just wanted to give you a fair warning.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC