Help--Bottle pictures to share

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

spot34

Reaction score
I posted the picture of the black glass bottle on a previous post but, here are some of the other bottles we got from the cistern.

Weiss Beer Bottle
This bottle, that wasn't found in the cistern, but on the same jobsite, is a blob top (unfortunately, chipped). It says "American Weiss Beer Co. St. Louis" on the front, and "This bottle never sold" on the back. I think the top is applied. The bottom is a post mold base; there are no air vents.

Us52913.jpg

Attachments

• Us52913.jpg
    Us52913.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 88

spot34

Reaction score
Here are two small vials we found, still with corks in them.

Zx72172.jpg

spot34

Reaction score
Here is my husband's favorite. It is a tooled top, has air vents on the shoulder, and a cupped base with air vents. It's just pretty and unique. Anyone know anything about this bottle?

Ec87353.jpg

spot34

Reaction score
Here is a cool flask. The bottom, we're not sure, but think is a cupped base. there is a little protruding lip, or seam that is visible on one side of the base. It almost looks like the an 1/8 inch edge of a coin. I'll send a pic asap. Has air vents on the shoulders, a tooled top. Very bubbley, very cute!

Qo39838.jpg

spot34

Reaction score
Here is a bottle that says Stute & Co. on it. It was corked and had a reddish residue in it. Think it may have been hot sauce or some kind of condiment. Is a tooled top. Base has "123" embossed across the bottom. Seems to have a cupped seam, but not sure. No air vents.

We have about 15 or so more bottles, and I'll be happy to take and upload more pics if anyone is interested. Thanks! Janet

Zx69968.jpg

Attachments

• Zx69968.jpg
    Zx69968.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 85

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Let's see-

The first bottle James (Dignit) told you about already, so we'll skip that one.

The 2 vials might be old glassware from a labratory, just a guess.

The 4th bottle (your husband's favorite) held olive oil, and is from around 1900. BIM crown-tops weren't made very long.

The 5th one (the flask) held whiskey, and is from the 1890's.

The Stute bottle held ketchup, and is from around 1900. All I could find on Stute is they were from St. Louis.

Hope that helps a bit.[:D]

spot34

Reaction score
Dear Diggerboy,
Thanks for your reply!
An Olive oil bottle . . . I wouldn't have guessed, but now that you say it, it LOOKS like that would be just want it was for. Just curious--how do you know that? And regarding BIM's, you say crown top BIMs weren't made for very long, do you know the time period?

It looks like most of the bottles we have are from right around the turn of the century.

Any advice on figuring out value?
Thanks for your help.
Janet

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
The reason I know that's an olive oil bottle is because that's the universal shape they came in in the late 1800's-early 1900's. Well, let's see, the crown top was patented in 1892, so I's say about 1892-1910.

As for values, I'm NOT the one to come to for values.[&:] I stink at determining values[&o]. There's some other people here quite good at it. They could probably help you out.[;)]

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Janet,
RE:determining value;as a GENERAL rule unembossed bottles have very little monetary value,their value is usually just the pleasure you get from admiring them in your collection.Embossed bottles vary in value determined by scarity,colour,condition,etc.Your best bet will be get a couple of price guides, (as a benchmark to scarcity-NOT price! Kovel's in particular seem way off.) and check between Ebay and the specialty Auction houses,Christie's,Skinner's,BBR,etc. to ballpark price.Just remember,ANYTHING is only worth what somebody will give for it.[;)]

Hope this helps,

KAT

spot34

Reaction score
Dear Diggerboy,
Thanks again for the info!
Janet

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads