How to distinguish E. G. BOOZ originals from Clevenger Bros. reproductions.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

natedog749

Reaction score
I've read the original post word for word and compared the pictures to my bottle several times. I'm havin a little bit of dificulty distinguishing the top corners of the roof. The top right corner is actuay chipped off, I'm assuming (and hoping) that this is caused from the mentioned glass blowing problem.
http://tinypic.com/r/i3992f/6
The above link is a quick picture that i took with my phone, sorry for bad quality. From this picture, is there anyway you can distinguish whether the left corner is of an original bottle?
Thanks,
Nate

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Natedog...welcome to the Forum. It appears you have an amethyst (?) Clevenger Bros repro...as the corner roof cut extends into the 2nd row of shingles. The originals only cut thru the 1st row.

Reaction score
Great post! What are the McKearin numbers for the other 3 molds? There where 6 original molds used. Does anyone have a source for descriptions, measurements, detailed images, for the other 4 not discussed here?

Many Thanks!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Bushrodwoodworks and others. Go to the historical files and check these bottles out. Steve/Sewell has spent a lot of time covering them with outstanding information.
RED Matthews

Reaction score
RED I went to Steve's blog, he has some interesting articles however I am finding nothing on the other Old Cabin Flasks. Perhaps I am overlooking something.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hello Isaac,
There were only three original Booz bottle types and there were only two molds. The Booz bottle Mckearin numbers were the GVII-3 GVII-4 and the GVII-5.The GVII-5 is the same as the GVII_4 but has a shorter neck and the top instead of having a tapered mouth has a blob top.The missing numbers you might be reffering to are the GVII-1 and the GVII-2 and the GVII-6- were different bottles altogether.

Jerseyana

Reaction score
Dear Steve/Sewell

I hate to break up the party on the Booz Bottle identification on this site, but some of this information is under copyright by me, the first person to do a detailed identification of these bottles. The photo of the base in particular was taken directly from my 2006 CD-ROM of Tippecanoe and E. G. Booz Too! with no permission asked from me, the author/photographer. The photo of the GVII-5 Booz is one from the Corning Museum of Glass - a photo for which a substantial fee was charged to publish it, a fee I paid and one I doubt you did.

I insist that the material that came from the Tippecanoe book be removed from this site. You have no right to use the information that I researched for many years without you footnoting and crediting your sources, as well as asking permission to do so. Instead, you seem happy to take credit for it yourself.

Please remove any and all information which you cannot take the credit for doing your own research.

Tom Haunton
author - Tippecanoe and E. G. Booz Too!
The Booz Bottle - Real vs. Repro

odditysteve

Reaction score
Are there any other colors of the original Booz Log Cabin bottle? If so does anyone have a pic of one. Also can someone show a pic of the bases of the original bottle Vs. a Clevenger. Thank you.

Jerseyana

Reaction score
Good afternoon OdditySteve. The original Boozes came in a variety of shades of amber, from a light golden to very dark amber. I have also seen broken shards of an olive green-amber original. Although the McKearin American Glass books list other colors such as deep and pale green, I know of no one who has seen original Boozes in these colors. The GVII-5 Booz of course comes in an aquamarine/pale green color.

My Tippecanoe and E. G. Booz Too! CD-ROM has a photo of an original base - a copyrighted photo that had been illegally listed here. I still sell the CDs if you're interested. I can provide you a photo of the base of one of the Clevenger straight roof Boozes.

Tom Haunton

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1