Lookin for Mojo (in all the wrong places)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I'm just not finding any good bottles these days. A good ol "dry spell".

So I figured I'd toss this out there, a little "Bottle Diggers Phych 101" if you will. Sorry, no photos :(

I'm going through a bit of a rough spell, in general in my life. And, I've got some extra time on my hands for the first time in a long time. I used to fantasize that when I got some spare time, and I could dig 4 or 5 times a week if I wanted, I'd go bottle hog-wild, and really "cash in".

So, the combination of experiencing this "rough spell" personally, AND, having extra time on my hands, can lead one into a very troublesome mind set. You quickly start to think, "I'll start digging and diving like crazy, and within a few days, I'll find a spot that will totally kick ass, and I'll pull out some pontils, maybe my first colored pontiled medicine. I'll ride that "bottle buzz" for weeks! and next thing you know, my life's problems will be solved !

A non-bottle digger would read this and think it was the silliest thing they've ever heard. But I'm banking on the fact that at least a few of you diggers can relate.

If you plan of finding butt kicking bottles, like "on cue", when you need some sort of boost in your life, they will never show up. It just doesn't work that way. You have no control at all over what treasure you uncover, and when. That's one of the many things that make it such a great hobby. You can have the "perfect privy" all lined up, and probed out, with great depth and "crunchy" feel to it, and you go to dig it, and you find a layer of aqua large slicks, and a pile of bricks below. Then on the other hand, you're walking down the street and pass a construction site, and step on to the dirt for a minute, and find a colored pontiled ink laying there in the mud, between the treads of a bulldozer, mint.

The Serenity prayer says something like, God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. (I think thats it).

I can control how I treat my family, how determined I am to find a job, etc, stuff like that. I CANT control what delicious bottles will be waiting for me at the bottom of a river somewhere, to give me a rush, or a bottle buzz, and make all feel right with the world.

Now, the wisdom to know the difference? Still working on that, one day at a time. I guess thats the impetus for this weird post.

I know most people flicked by this post when there were no pictures of freshly dug bottles, thats what I usually do :) But I'm hoping there's a few of you bottle nuts that can relate, and maybe don't feel as weird about yourself, now that you know you're not the only bottle digging addict out there !

Happy digging ! Hope my next post has some good pics. ( but if it doesn't, thats ok too, right?)

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Don't worry Bram,....
I think most can relate in some ways to your 'muse'...I know I can,....but having said that,....Hang in with your rough patch,....and keep changing the things you can...that's all any of us can do. [;)] Regards from a fellow bottle addict.
m6.gif

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Bram,
Hang in there buddy. You'll be knocking us over with great bottles probably sooner rather than later. I can totally relate to your bottle finding slump. (However, it should be noted that you can always pull out that ink well when you're feeling down). I'm guessing that would be the best bottle I EVER found and you just got it this year. That bottle made your year. (That bottle made your decade). Every other bottle is icing on the cake. Best of luck. I hope things turn around.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
RE: Looking for Mojo (in all the wrong places)

HEY BRAM ...I'M GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING ,,but my situation is we moved to save $$$ my daughter moved out, with my first grandson, got herself a great job . we are now in a 2 bedroom apt. no room to show any bottles,well maybe a few, but the rest of them are in storage. we should be starting to save up a few bucks,hope , hope! I've had to go to a library to get on line nothing like logging in to the forum and having over 100 emails or messages to look through. but thing always get better thats my thinking and they do... take it one day at a hang in there . tim[:)]

202008945E03450591759D8FC0A98D9D.jpg

Attachments

• 202008945E03450591759D8FC0A98D9D.jpg
    202008945E03450591759D8FC0A98D9D.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48

logueb

Reaction score
Bram, I just spent the worst year of my life the past year. Just to rough to talk about. One year of pure hell. And it ain't over yet. I do the same thing about bottles. I dream of running into a streak of pontils, cures, blobs etc. But I know it will never happen. But the hope keeps me digging and scratching and posting. I use this forum as a place to get away from lifes trying times. To look and dream of those bottles that others dig that I will never find. So I take life one shovel full at a time, and accept the meager finds that fate has thrown my way. Good Luck and look forward to your post. Buster.

ruccello

Reaction score
Bram, your life sounds a lot like mine. I was laid off in 2006. I am a graphic designer, and jobs for "seasoned" designers don't come up very often, so I have been freelancing since then. I really didn't start digging bottles until last year, and this year I really got into it. With the economy as rough as it is, work has been on and off. You'll notice I've posted a lot of things lately - it's called out-of-work looking-for-something-to-do-because-I'm-tired-of-looking-for work-and-not-finding-any! But, when I'm out looking for new spots, or digging, all the problems in my life disappear. Even when I don't find anything, the serenity of being outdoors away from it all is enough. And when I do find glass, it's that much better. I wish you lived down this way, it would be nice to have a digging partner during the week, when I'm supposed to be looking for work! Anyway, keep looking for those spots - especially now that you have some time on your hands - and enjoy the hunt, I think that's half the fun. I'll be looking forward to your next post, I'm sure it'll be a good one.

Good luck,

Richard

tftfan

Reaction score
Oh ya..... we like pics , maybe next time.[:D]

CazDigger

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a roadtrip somewhere to me! Maybe some members will invite you for a "World Digging Tour" Any takers out there????? You know you are welcome here.
Mark

mr.fred

Reaction score
Been there done that[:(]---and i am sure it will happen again---i always think of what my Dad would say----some other S.O.B. has got it worse than you. I say the serenity prayer as much as need be-----and work hard at having the wisdom to know the difference---but i am careful of what i ask for[;)]-----Hang tight----life is good[:)].

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisaObie