Looking for some information on a "pink" bottle... before 1900?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lestweforget

Reaction score
Another bottle out of the bunch that I found. It's a "pink" colored bottle that I believe is a pre-1900 manufactured bottle as the seam does not go through the lip. It has a pebbled band for about 1/3 of the bottle. Heavy bottom... no markings. Lots of air bubbles though!
IMG_2152.jpeg

If any can shed some light on this one, it will be much appreciated!
Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
IMG_2150.jpeg
IMG_2151.jpeg
IMG_2150.jpeg

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Another bottle out of the bunch that I found. It's a "pink" colored bottle that I believe is a pre-1900 manufactured bottle as the seam does not go through the lip. It has a pebbled band for about 1/3 of the bottle. Heavy bottom... no markings. Lots of air bubbles though!
If any can shed some light on this one, it will be much appreciated!
Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
I'm not sure what this would have been used for. Reminds me of some type of personal hygiene product container.
What you are calling "pink" is referred to as SCA or Sun Colored Amethyst. Manganese was used in glass manufacturing to clarify the glass. In sunlight the manganese reacts and turns to this lovely shade.
I believe you are correct on the age.

DavidW

Reaction score
Can you please post a photo of the base? Looking carefully at the bottom under a bright light can you see ANY base wear, like light scratching? What about the sides of the bottle - any scratches at all?

Maybe I'm way off, but I cannot remember EVER seeing any such bottle before. Can you give us any hints on the area where you found it? (don't need to be specific). It gives me vibes of a modern decor bottle, sold empty. The bubbles look almost like they were produced on purpose. The color almost looks purposeful also, not quite like a light amethyst from manganese.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this bottle? My interest is piqued - it just doesn't seem like its old to me. One thought here: some handmade "art glass" or decorative bottles might not show mold seams all the way to the top -mold seams can also be erased by re-heating and "smoothing" the glass surface by "fire-polishing" with a flame. Maybe not in your case, but just a thought.

Lestweforget

Reaction score
IMG_2157.jpeg
I have attached some more photos of the base.... Not sure you can see it very well, the inside of the base is uneven, and raised on a side. It's also a heavy base. I did do some more research and I'm pretty sure it has the air venting "marks" along the seam of the bottle. As I mentioned before, the seam stops at the bottom of the lip and doesn't go through it. One other "odd" thing ias that when you look at it, it appears to have indentations in the collar above the "dimples" and in the main body under it, but it's smooth on the outside. I found it in a shop in the Washington, NJ area (northwest corner of NJ on Delaware river) and it does have light scratching on the base.... Many, many thanks!
IMG_2160.jpeg
I'm strictly a novice so take everything with a grain of salt!
Can you please post a photo of the base? Looking carefully at the bottom under a bright light can you see ANY base wear, like light scratching? What about the sides of the bottle - any scratches at all?

Maybe I'm way off, but I cannot remember EVER seeing any such bottle before. Can you give us any hints on the area where you found it? (don't need to be specific). It gives me vibes of a modern decor bottle, sold empty. The bubbles look almost like they were produced on purpose. The color almost looks purposeful also, not quite like a light amethyst from manganese.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this bottle? My interest is piqued - it just doesn't seem like its old to me. One thought here: some handmade "art glass" or decorative bottles might not show mold seams all the way to the top -mold seams can also be erased by re-heating and "smoothing" the glass surface by "fire-polishing" with a flame. Maybe not in your case, but just a thought.

Attachments

• IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2158.jpeg
    IMG_2158.jpeg