MASON'S 1858 - XX Base - odd whittle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

miker

Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen this kind of whittle before but can't tell you the exact cause. As for the bottom embossing "XX", I don't see a listing of such a mark. I can find a single "X" but no double. You could have an uncommon variation that need further investigation.

Dave

miker

Reaction score
base

AB710C536A6D4605BF3F3DA30AF9719B.jpg

miker

Reaction score
HII I HAVE A HALF GALLON MASONS X X ON BOTTOM OF JAR HOW OLD IS IT & HOW RARE ARE THEY IT HAS A STRONG EMBOSSING VERY THICK GLASS IT LOOKS LIKE A PONTIL MARK ON BOTTOM OF JAR BELOW THE X X IT IS VERY NICE.

Attachments

• P1250855.JPG
    P1250855.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 106
  • P1250862.JPG
    P1250862.JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 104
  • P1250873.JPG
    P1250873.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 111
  • P1250874.JPG
    P1250874.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 101

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
HII I HAVE A HALF GALLON MASONS X X ON BOTTOM OF JAR HOW OLD IS IT & HOW RARE ARE THEY IT HAS A STRONG EMBOSSING VERY THICK GLASS IT LOOKS LIKE A PONTIL MARK ON BOTTOM OF JAR BELOW THE X X IT IS VERY NICE.
As mentioned above, there are NO pontiled mason jars. Early mason jars were blown into a mold, then the top of the jar was broken off the blowpipe and the lip ground down to make an even edge. No need for a pontil. Some OTHER early jars such as wax sealers were held on the pontil while the channel was formed, hence a pontil scar.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Additionally, the XX on the base could and should be reported to Douglas Leybourne so that it can be included in the next edition of the Redbook. Since there are several listings for roman numerals on the base, I see no reason not to include your XX as well.

miker

Reaction score
This jar was brought to me by someone who thought that it looked odd. I had to agree. The marks that I thought to be cold mold whittling may be something quite different. The effect is very difficult to capture with limited photographic skills but it shows up in two of my tries. The marks are small, rectangular, regular in size and are in rings that circle the entire jar, one on top of the next, from top to bottom. My guess is that these are marks made in the manufacture of the mold that were not fully polished out. The crispness of the lettering suggests that this was a new mold.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has a jar with this condition and if anyone has a different opinion please say so. George

AD2E23B6758F46EBAAA097674EFE1CF6.jpg

miker

Reaction score
Additionally, the XX on the base could and should be reported to Douglas Leybourne so that it can be included in the next edition of the Redbook. Since there are several listings for roman numerals on the base, I see no reason not to include your XX as well.

miker

Reaction score
HI IT IS MIKER HOW OLD IS MY HALF GALLON MASONS JAR MY JAR HAS A GROUND TOP THERE ARE BUBBLES AND RIPPLES AND VERY STRONG EMBOSSING & XX ON BOTTOM OF JAR THANK YOU MIKER.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
HI IT IS MIKER HOW OLD IS MY HALF GALLON MASONS JAR MY JAR HAS A GROUND TOP THERE ARE BUBBLES AND RIPPLES AND VERY STRONG EMBOSSING & XX ON BOTTOM OF JAR THANK YOU MIKER.
Somewhere between the late 1860s to about 1900. The earliest Mason's Patent jars have squared shoulders and are called "Crowleytown" jars. Then, they transitioned to jars with a fairly flat somewhat sharp cornered base. After around 1900, most glass houses had invested in machines & smooth lip Mason's Patent jars were made up until about WWI.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter