Shill Bidding

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I only snipe, it prevents shilling. Auctionsniper.com if not for them, I could not survive on eBay.

JohnN

Reaction score
When I bid, I usually put in a low bid early on, and then if someone comes to outbid me, then I will try sniping.

bostaurus

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

I see people who bid 20 times in 2 dollar increments all the time... its usually just people who have no idea how to use ebay... There are also bid engines that bid for you and they bid in small increments like this... strange stuff
there is someone that has recently started buying vet bottles on eBay. He/she is very frustrating with the multiple small increments. They have deep pockets too. I tried sniping them the other night with a large bid with about 15 secs to go (we were having some issues with the internet signal or I would have tried 5 seconds). I figured it would take them too long to figure out the high price by doing small bids but I was wrong and was over bid at the last minute.
I told my husband that getting any good vet bottles off eBay looks to be out of the question...at least until this person is finished.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JohnN When I bid, I usually put in a low bid early on, and then if someone comes to outbid me, then I will try sniping.

This is a good strategy to keep an item from being pulled prior to the end of an auction, which I have been watching items that did not receive bids get pulled before I could walk in at the end and place my bid. So if it is something I really really want and there is no bid when I find it I use Johns strategy. [8D]

ratbastard

Reaction score
auction ended i was the winner at my max bid which was ran up by mr. one feedack and then he never bid again. funny how the seller told me he was going to pull the guys bid after he found out the guy's phone was disconnected and like magic two days later they talked by phone. i won't bid on anymore of the sellers auctions

epackage

Reaction score
Happy that you won the bottle, can you post a link to the auction?

ratbastard

Reaction score
see if this works

http://www.ebay.com/itm/royal-crown-cola-12-oz-acl-soda-bottle-good-housekeeping-bureau-menominee-mi/221164750123

paid too much i believe but have been looking for this one for quite sometime. from now on i will stick to bidding on the final days like i used to do. seller told me he hasn't sold on ebay for quite some time. i feel there was something fishy because the seller told me he thought the 1 feedback bidder was someone he knows screwing with his auction , he couldn't get ahold of the bidder and then two days later the seller tells me the bidder is on the level , he knows his ex wife , where she works , his facebook page and some of his other family members. maybe to late to report what i suspect as shill bidding. im not convinced it wasn't .

LC

Reaction score
I was never one to worry about someone running a bid on me on eBay or at auctions . I knew exactly what I wanted to pay for an item . It it went beyond that they owned it . I never put myself into a position where I will keep bidding beyond what I expect to pay till I get something . I do condemn the practice of shill bidding , no excuse for it .

ratbastard

Reaction score
the person who put up the bottle on ebay that i won and still suspect shill bidding during the auction is a member on this fourm
very interesting

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC