Todays Privy Digs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Went back down to the construction site today and met up with Tim and the Legendary Cliff and Jerry. We ended up digging three more privies and got into a cistern a little. Here's a look at how rough this site is. You can see Tim driving a spike in the ground in order to get a probe rod in. That's the only way to find the holes on this spot.
aprildigsone.jpg

Here's a look into one of the holes. Jerry is holding a nice intact piece of stoneware that he just dug. You can see the gravel we're having to dig through just to get to the top of the ground.
aprildigstwo.jpg

All together we ended up digging three complete jugs, one mini jug missing it's handle, one crock with the lid, a prices patent candle co, an amber pepsi cola, some amber coca colas, and various others. It was a fun day!
aprildigseleven.jpg

Prices Patent Candle Company in cobalt blue! These are nice bottles.
aprildigsten.jpg

Straight sided amber Pepsi Cola from Memphis Tenn. We don't usually dig these here so it was a treat!
aprildigsthree.jpg

Nice little house ink. This was the only decent bottle that came out of one hole we dug!!!
aprildigsseven.jpg

A little mini jug from N.Y. that says cologne on it? Too bad it's little handle was gone.
aprildigssix.jpg

Some Coca Cola's and the Pepsi. Too bad we didn't get about a six pack of the Pepsi's!!!
aprildigsfive.jpg

All in all it was a fun day. It's tough digging down there and the pits aren't really loaded, but you never know. Hopefully we'll get into one Really Good hole before the fat lady sings.
Happy Digging! Chris Capley

tigue710

Reaction score
Heck ya Chris! Cant believe you dug a Candle bottle... that is one of the Favorites among English collectors, they would all poo a brick to find one! Congrats...

now about the spike, I have a similar situation with hard pack gravel on a construction site.... are you pegging every couple feet? I was going to give up but dont want to, it was a Saloon right next to an army fort, all with in a quarter mile of the New London Glass Works! Privy is on a Map but not an exact map...

Jim

Reaction score
Nice dig, Chris. The Price's is indeed a sweet bottle. I found a little house ink just like yours back in October. It was the first one of those for me, cones and umbrellas seem to have been more popular here. ~Jim

lexdigger

Reaction score
Hey Rick, that's the most jugs I've dug in one day! I wish they were all stenciled saloon or distilery jugs, but it was still fun!
Matt, I wish I dug the Prices! Jerry got to dig that one up. This one isn't marked England so I think it is a U.S. version? They were made in Boston for a little while. As far as the spike goes, I can't take credit for that. Cliff and Jerry have been digging this area for 30 years. They know how to walk off a lot and find the property lines. If you get on the line and probe every couple of feet you will eventually find the pit. Just make sure you don't drive the spike in too far to rock it back out! Once you find one privy it makes finding the others easier because they tend to run in a line here. I'd keep trying on your site, it's worth it once you find the pits!
Thanks Jim, I like the little house inks to! We mainly dig cones here but every now and then we'll get a different shaped or embossed ink. Any different type of ink is always a fun dig!

tigue710

Reaction score
I didnt know they were in Boston, thats cool!

Our Privy's were all over the place, this one was in the middle of the yard somewhere, house was torn down in the 60's to make room for a factory that was torn down 10 years ago, cement slab style... Its there somewhere... I think...

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, don't quote me on that Prices cause I haven't researched it yet. It doesn't say England on it like some of them do so we think it was made in the U.S.?
As far as the warehouse site goes, if they didn't excavate it too deep when they did the groundwork then the pits should still be there. They may have taken off some of the tops of them and they could be shallow. There may also be an amount of overburden there that you are dealing with? You might want to dig a small test hole somewhere there to get an idea of what's going on? We use an iron digger to bust through the rock, gravel, and clay.

kozmothewonderdog

Reaction score
Chris,

As usual, looks like you guys had a great time digging, and definitely some cool "keepers"! Congrats...

- Al

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Chris
Great dig ,The Prices is super sweet ,and of course I allways love the inks , Thats a cool pepsi too. Way to go guys . Was by your way yesterday .Had to go to the Lee's town road V.A. to get poked and proded agian . Thanks for sharing the great pics and good luck diggen Chris.
bill

lexdigger

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, no matter what we dig we do always have a good time. We don't take ourselves too seriously and like to cut up with each other. Next time you're in Lex. Bill, you should look me up. I know it's a long drive home though and you prolly just want to get back there and out of this crazy town! LOL. You're welcome to look me up anytime though, you've got my number.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazewudb3nice!