05/24/2024 Finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
About 4 hours of searching today. The 2 oldest pieces are the aqua glass beer bottle at the back right, it is has a tooled finish with the A B connected (American Bottling Company or Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company) on the base and then the amber medicine bottle, near front left, it is a P. D. & Co. (Park Davis & Company), also a tooled lip, the rest are 100% machine made. I have an interest in learning more about the panel jars, they seem early, one has a light amethyst color and a few large bubbles. Also of note is the small milk glass jar up front, it is an AVON product, also seems early. All of these will clean up nicely, the only one with a flaw is the squat square jar farthest right, it has a half inch internal crack in one of the sides. A number of the bottles and jars I find have carbon deposits that seem to be bound on a molecular level to the glass, I have been able to remove them with muriatic acid but it sometimes leaves a frosted look in that area. Anyway, I am pleasantly satisfied with today's finds and pleased to have a place to show them.

Attachments

• IMG_7075.JPG
    IMG_7075.JPG
    884.5 KB · Views: 80

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Nice finds! Many of the bottles you've found are probably 20s through 50s or so. A few of these I've found the exact bottles here - the barrel shaped jar in the back left, and the small clear one just to the right of the brown P.D. &Co, and can confirm those are from probably the late 50s or early 60s. The milk glass Avon I would guess is probably 30s or 40s, but dating these can be difficult. The paneled jars and most of the meds I'd place late 20s through late 30s - machine-made glass had come a bit, but still had imperfections and screw tops were quickly becoming the preferred closure by the 30s.

Does the middle med have a spade embossed on it, or is that some weird reflection from the bottle in front?

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
Not sure but I believe the Barrel shaped jar is Dixie Brand Peanut Butter, it is a Hazel-Atlas jar, a small mouth lid fits it fine, the small one next to the P. D. & Co. is a T. H. Stough candy bottle, it would have had a lid that gave it a lantern shape. The bottle with the ACE on the front is an ACE shoe polish bottle, besides what's on the front, there is 3 1/2 fl. oz. on the base that's it, no manufactures mark, I think 1930s to 40s. I agree with the dating you have provided but from the date ranges of the bottle and jars I can discern, I don't find much that goes into the sixties. As far as the panel jars, I suspected 20s to 30s but absolutely no markings, numbers or otherwise. A lot of what I find has little or no value to most collectors, but I still find every one interesting and I study the heck out of them.

Attachments

• IMG_7076.JPG
    IMG_7076.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 33

Vetus Vitrum

Reaction score
Nice finds! Many of the bottles you've found are probably 20s through 50s or so. A few of these I've found the exact bottles here - the barrel shaped jar in the back left, and the small clear one just to the right of the brown P.D. &Co, and can confirm those are from probably the late 50s or early 60s. The milk glass Avon I would guess is probably 30s or 40s, but dating these can be difficult. The paneled jars and most of the meds I'd place late 20s through late 30s - machine-made glass had come a bit, but still had imperfections and screw tops were quickly becoming the preferred closure by the 30s.

Does the middle med have a spade embossed on it, or is that some weird reflection from the bottle in front?
I replied but forgot to do it as a reply. Still getting used to the site.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29