1890s Rye Bottle found in brothel wall! How or should I clean?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I believe we talked about that bottle in here before, someone else had one.

Reactions: Roy

American

Reaction score
I found this inside the wall of a former brothel we're renovating in New Hampshire!
1890s Rye bottle with label RHEINSTROM BROS. US Mailbox (rare)
I am hesitant to wash it, as I don't want to further damage the label. Any suggestions? I would like to sell it as I found one with a 'slightly' better label sold on Ebay for $760 10 years ago.
Thank you!
Love bottle found in wall stories! This bottle was featured recently in one of the bottle auction houses - I think Glassworks auctions, but not sure. It looks like it may have some bruising and abrasions (?) You can find the most recent auction prices for this bottle on the FOHBC website.

Old man digger

Reaction score
I found this inside the wall of a former brothel we're renovating in New Hampshire!
1890s Rye bottle with label RHEINSTROM BROS. US Mailbox (rare)
I am hesitant to wash it, as I don't want to further damage the label. Any suggestions? I would like to sell it as I found one with a 'slightly' better label sold on Ebay for $760 10 years ago.
Thank you!
I have some more info on your bottle. If you do decide to sell it, it is always better to have as much information as possible.
Your bottle was Patented on Dec 15th, 1891, by one Alexander P Moore. Your Bottle came in two sizes and in both Clear and
Amber glass. It should have U.S. Mail with Eagle Wings in relief on the sides. And the bottom marked with the patented date.
These also came not only in two colors, but two sizes. The larger one was 6 3/4 " High 2 1/4" deep 3 3/4" wide. The smaller
of the two measured 5 1/2" High 1 3/4' deep 3 1/8 ' wide.
They were popular during the Temperance Movement and the Volstead Act put an end to them and they never came back after
Prohibition was repelled. If you found this in the walls of a Bawdy House, I doubt Temperance was not very much of a concern.
Hope this helps with the sale of you bottle.

LITTLE RHODY

Reaction score
I agree with others. Don't get any water near that bottle. Sell it as is. No matter how careful you are with the water mistakes always happen. The label is the big deal about that bottle. Bill Rose, Little Rhody Bottle Club, President

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51