A REAL CHRISTMAS MIRACLE! HUGE TREASURE CACHE FOUND!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Dang, most such caches I've heard of contained silver dating right up to '64. Wonder if it was buried by a soldier leaving for Korea or something of the like. That find is something most detectorists dream of. Awesome.

Anyway, tumbling or cleaning the coins with abrasives is not recommended, but they are yours so by all mean do what you want. If you're open to suggestion however, I second Matt's opinion that the afflicted coins should be soaked in a solution of Oxalic acid. Often this can take a little while. If the pure material isn't available then a solution of BKF will probably work, just keep the insoluble abrasive component away from the coins.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Plumbata, that is exactly what I was thinking. Why would you bury it in the first place?

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Wow, that's an awesome find!!! I wonder if some kid was saving up for something when he had to hide it and was never able to go back for it. It's certainly a tremendous discovery!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The fact that its almost all dimes should be a clue to who buried it.
Most likely someone who did a job or sold a product which cost 10 cent. Maybe a kid who got 10 cent a week allowance.
Someone could have even broke into the change box on a vending machine.
Its odd to find a cache with just one denomination of coin. Caches of coins in general are not all that rare.
Seems like I always hit the penny caches[:(]

2find4me

Reaction score
Better than me, I always hit the nail caches! [:mad:]

surfaceone

Reaction score
668094_orig.jpg

Hey Mike,

Second day of Christmas congratulations on this find, and your video.

1300757_1_l.jpg

"Bama bank. Aunt Jemima clad in blue and white long dress holding a laundry basket under her right hand. Some chipping and fading of paint. H:5.5". Bottom missing. G." From.

Dimes were a savings vehicle since the mid 19th Century.

800px-Union_Dime_Savings_Bank%2C_from_Robert_N._Dennis_collection_of_stereoscopic_views.jpg

"Union Dime Savings Bank, New York" From.

whistle_museum_archive,_B_R_Logo_1869_Dime_Bank1.jpg

"An 1869 dime bank stamped The B. & R. M'F'G. Co. " From.

28dimebank.jpg
From.

daily-dime-bank.jpg
From.

RCO

Reaction score
super cool find , i've went metal detecting before and never found anything along that line before , mostly jusr newer coins and junk .
some rare dates to look for are 1921 , 1916 D , 1913 S but even if there is no rare dates in the mix just the silver content alone is impressive .

THE BADGER

Reaction score
AWESOME MIKE,WAY TO GO.THE BANK ITSELF WOULD HAVE MADE MY DAY THE LOOT IS OUTSTANDING.HOPE THERE'S LOTS MORE OF THESE KINDS OF FINDS OUT THERE FOR YA. BADGER

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC