Antique Store Finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Randalla

Reaction score
While in an antique store in Cottonwood, AZ. I picked up these three bottles in excellent condition. The bottle on the left is one I'm particularly interested in knowing about. Bottle has the most embossing I've ever seen on a bottle and that's what captured my attention. It reads as follows:

One Pint Ammonia For Washing
Manufactured By The San Francisco Gas Light Co.
Keep This Bottle Corked And In A Cool Place
Price 25 Cents
Use A Tablespoon To A Gallon of Water

The bottle is 8-1/4" tall and is an aqua color. Very interested to learn anything about it and it's relative rarity. Thanks

Attachments

• EF93C946-30AC-4187-9948-18E6A78FE159.JPG
    EF93C946-30AC-4187-9948-18E6A78FE159.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 45

Coled18

Just a baby
Reaction score
“The gas manufacturing process created a considerable quantity of liquid coal tar residue. These substances had to be used or disposed of at a considerable cost. In that Ammonia can be easily distilled from coal tar, a new industry was formed, and the natural gas plants began manufacturing Ammonia for chemical, mining and household uses. The San Francisco Gaslight Company became a major producer and distributor of Ammonia in the area. Documents revealed that the company was selling Ammonia as early as 1875.”

More pictures of the bottle, ie the seams, bottom and lip would help us determine a more specific age. I was also able to find several others just like it by searching keywords on Google, though maybe another collector could speak better to the uncommon characteristics of these ammonia bottles.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29