BIG CHIEF ACLs WITH "STATE" IMAGES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm glad that few have replied to this thread thus far, as I feel like a total idiot. (But what's new?)

Anyway, here's the so called mystery bottle I was referring to. But what's even crazier; I not only figured out what state it's from, but I also just discovered that I have this bottle. It's from Colorado! At first I thought it was just a generic square, but after doing some more research and taking precise measurements, I realized the "square" is wider at the bottom than it is at the top ... just exactly like the real state of Colorado is. Plus my bottle has "two" Colorado towns on it ... Steamboat Springs & Glenwood Springs, Colo. (Which I know are close to each other). So I guess that now makes "Eight" states and counting. Heck, if I keep going like I am, I'll have this thing figured out all by myself ... yah, right! That'll be the day! (Thanks TJSJHART - It's all your fault! Lol).

SODA"BOOB"BOB

COLORADO BIG CHIEF

97E382E5E1254E85855542084225BB52.jpg

Attachments

• 97E382E5E1254E85855542084225BB52.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 89

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In a genuine attempt to clairfy any confusion, I wish to present the following ...

~ SUMMARY ~

Currently known Big Chief states.

1. Alabama
2. Colarado
3. Illinois
4. Louisiana
5. Mississippi
6. New Mexico
7. Texas
8. Utah

Known states, but with missing photos.

1. Illinois
2. New Mexico
3. Utah

If you know of other states not listed here, please let me know, and post photos of them if possible.

Thanks again and again ... and I will totally understand if you pass this one by as the creation of a lunatic. But hopefully this won't be the case, and by the time we are done here we will have an official list of every acl Big Chief with a picture of a state on it.

Gracias,

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I think this thread is haunted, and getting weirder all the time. Or maybe it's just me. But I just now got my first e-mail notice, and it was TJSJHART'S first one from 12:28:08 PM today ... but it took a full three hours to show up! How do you explain that? Hmmm ... please don't respond to this question, as I believe I know the answer.

Thanks,

Bob

bottlingco

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

I'm glad that few have replied to this thread thus far, as I feel like a total idiot. (But what's new?)

Anyway, here's the so called mystery bottle I was referring to. But what's even crazier;  I not only figured out what state it's from, but I also just discovered that I have this bottle. It's from Colorado! At first I thought it was just a generic square, but after doing some more research and taking precise measurements, I realized the "square" is wider at the bottom than it is at the top ... just exactly like the real state of Colorado is. Plus my bottle has "two" Colorado towns on it ... Steamboat Springs & Glenwood Springs, Colo. (Which I know are close to each other).  So I guess that now makes "Eight" states and counting. Heck, if I keep going like I am, I'll have this thing figured out all by myself ... yah, right! That'll be the day! (Thanks TJSJHART - It's all your fault! Lol).

SODA"BOOB"BOB

COLORADO BIG CHIEF  

I want to provide some information in this post. Please understand that if I make any corrections or postings here, it is only in the interest of providing information, because I collect Big Chief bottles. I have all of them that are known to exist except one.
The particular bottle mentioned and photographed here is actually from Rock Springs, WY. The 3 town bottle from CO/UT is not a ten ounce bottle. It is shorter and the neck is different.
I will be sort of "tied up" for this evening and tomorrow, but will try to add anything you would like when I get time in the next couple of days.
Thanks for the threads about ACL bottles. Remember, we are all learners, and that is what keeps it fun. So, don't worry about making an error. Just keep up the great postings. I have a lot of knowledge in this area, so if you have a question, just ask. Watch someone ask something that I have no clue about right off the bat! LOL!! bottlingco

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Howdy Podner ~

You're just the guy I have been looking for! Your name is spelled "bottling co" but it should be "bottle lingo" ... Because you walk-the-walk, and talk-the-talk! And you are 100% right! The bottle I posted a photo of earlier is not the UT/CO one. I got lazy today and posted what I "thought" was that bottle. I borrowed the image from my files. But what I should have done is post the one below which is the actual bottle I own. I see the difference now, but didn't realize it earlier. So I hope this will redeem me, and put us back on the right track.

Please list every "State Image" Big Chief acl you know of, which apparently is all of them. Fantastic!

If you're the guy who "wrote the book," please let us know about that too. And if not, what is the best Big Chief book available?

Thanks again for your much appreciated input. And also for encouraging me to get off my desk chair and take the photos below, which I should have done in the first place anyway.

SPB

P.S. I just realized that Wyoming is kind of "squareish" shaped too. So we'll add that one to the list as well ... thanks to you!

EABF078666FE44C99A099C1AAD29DF50.jpg

Attachments

• EABF078666FE44C99A099C1AAD29DF50.jpg
    EABF078666FE44C99A099C1AAD29DF50.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 67

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here's a backside photo of the "real" Colo/Utah bottle that I own.

99C8F9CC90A5481EAB99A9564A0F848B.jpg

Attachments

• 99C8F9CC90A5481EAB99A9564A0F848B.jpg
    99C8F9CC90A5481EAB99A9564A0F848B.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 65

bottlingco

Reaction score
Add Nebraska to the state image list.

I did not write a book about Big Chief's and I have not read one, so I cannot speak for or against it.
As long as it is accurate, it does not have to be complete. After all, what is complete when talking about bottles?

But, I will be glad to answer any questions that I can. bottlingco

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

I think my e-mail notifier is on the blink. I still haven't received "TJSJHART'S" replys. I'm certain I clicked the notify button, but maybe not and I'm just losing it. Anyway, I'm going to test it again by adding this cool photo of a Big Chief sign that I would dearly love to have. And this time I absoloutely, positively clicked on the notify box!

Thanks,

SPB

C2DFA3DEC4814B7F95D1248417C08583.jpg

Now that's interesting. The "In big bottles" quote of course. I found a Big Bottle from North Fork, WVA last weekend and picked up a Big Bottle from Welch this weekend (pictures to follow when I am sober enough to post them). I'm guessing that surprisingly enough the West Virginia bottler in this are didn't go with the Big Chief concept bottle, but did actually go with the bigger bottle concept flavor line to compete with the Nehi brand.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
bottlingco ~

I wasn't sure if you were compiling a list to be posted at a later time, or if I was supposed to mention it again. But I would still be interested in knowing how many Big Chief bottles there are with images of states on the front label. And for clairification purposes, I am referring "only" to those with the white states that are outlined in red. (As shown in the photos). So far, I am aware of only ten. To the original list of 8 we added ... 9. Wyoming ... and ... 10. Nebraska

If possible, I would greatly appreciate it if you could complete the list with the ones not already indicated so far.

Thanks a million,

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the New Mexico bottle I have been looking for. I really like this one with the sun-symbols at the top of the state image. I'm still looking for "several ?" others, including Nebraska and Illinois. And I may be wrong, but I seem to recall "another" Utah bottle other than than the three-city (Vernal) one shown above. I believe the other Utah one had the actual state on it with a sort of wide "panhandle" at the top. ???

1C1BCE02397D4DFFAE7BA3124C9E49B3.jpg

Attachments

• 1C1BCE02397D4DFFAE7BA3124C9E49B3.jpg
    1C1BCE02397D4DFFAE7BA3124C9E49B3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 79

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member