Bottle Cap Question - Pepsi 1933

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the infamous 1933 Pepsi bottle? I am wondering what the cap looked like.

IMG_1010 2.PNG

images.jpeg

Some of the rare adverts show it yellow with a foil champagne type cover. I've seen the bottle
albeit she sold way out of my price range. The foil also extended more to the top of the cap.

I remember the foil covers on all the early soda bottles that I have owned. It tore because it
was glued to the side of the cap. I'd expect the cap to show some signs of glue or foil residue.

1930-uk-magazine-schweppes-ginger-ale-ad-KKN871.jpg
images-3.jpeg
1_7ce673ead6115ba28f578f2112117f03.jpg

When you pulled off the cap the foil went with it. Never seen a cap like that until today. I got an extra cap
from FeeBay today. It was cheap because it looked rusty. It wasn't. It was just really dirty. I carefully
cleaned it and saw something strange. Caps leading up to 1933 were changed quite a bit. Green was the
colour from about 1927-1930. Then Pepsi went belly up. They changed to yellow in 1933 with Guth's play
on getting Pepsi back on the streets. I spent a great deal of time getting them in order.

Unknown-2.jpeg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l500-5.jpg
Unknown-1.jpeg

These are three variations, but never could figure out the order. One thing was for sure; two had their red paint on the sides and not a hint of foil or glue residue. I received one today that after just a light cleaning revealed something interesting. Foil and glue residue on the side and much of its red paint covered in a brassy, shiny metallic residue. (Not rust) There were silver wear marks through the red paint as well, exposing the metal of the cap. The metal seemed stiffer and thicker too. There were none of the expected bends or dents where the cap was pried off. BTW lemon juice works wonders. Upon close inspection, with a magnifying glass, it revealed "TRADE MARK R.." under
the logo and I found 5 large yellow letters on the side of the cap...
N(?)Y(?) U. S. A. ..never seen that before either.

images-1.jpeg

Is this the infamous 1933 cap? By now you can guess my feelings. Doubt, excitement, intrigue...

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
I have that Crown but it it just says Trade Mark...no R. it's on a green bottle with the 'Bracing Beverage' label. But Mine is the older style?.. like the second last photo. Note how 'Trade Mark' runs parallel to Pepsi-Cola, vs your crown.
Subtle little changes that to me looks like there is more of a swoop pushing 'Cola' a bit higher.
Just my observations.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Hi CC that's exactly what I see too. I suspect it said TRADE MARK REG like the green one, but the paint is worn where the EG should be. But yes, the arc is higher on Cola. This cap is definitely different. If it is the first version ie: 10 cent bottle with the foil I really hit a rarity. I was shooting for a cheap US example in case my existing cap wouldn't pop back on the new bottle I was getting. I may have stumbled on a real rarity. They hardly lasted a year before Guth bought out the remaining shares to reboot with used beer bottles,
the second label, and a 5 cent price. I would think the caps were revamped too. I won't get too excited yet because this only leads to disappointment when information surfaces contradicting my assumptions.

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
based on this new information I can safely place the order of the caps something like this:
Unknown-2.jpeg
1926-1928

s-l1600-1.jpg
1929-1931

images-1.jpeg
s-l500-5.jpg
1934-1936

Unknown-1.jpeg
1937-1941

or there abouts...

Canadacan

Reaction score
Just added this NOS label to my collection!. It's the same one as on my bottle This is the crown original to it.
I know this is Canadian and you are referring to the American timeline.

1723160255695.jpeg

1723156611913.jpeg

1723157059747.jpeg

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Those are beauties! Its nice to see the original neck bands. Did you know these also came
in bilingual and French only versions?

here's an original Canadian cap...they all said REG'D as compared to the American REG.

image-0.jpg
1723158531393.png

620873eed29fc21c87c7280b3030c1ca.jpg
1723159579568.png

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
Those are beauties! Its nice to see the original neck bands. Did you know these also came
in bilingual and French only versions?

here's an original Canadian cap...they all said REG'D as compared to the American REG.
Thanks!...The oldest version on the left is the first of it's kind to surface in western Canada as far as I can tell. Yes I am aware of the other versions. All the crowns except the one that came on my bottle...lol

bottlebugs

Reaction score
the one you posted didn't come with the bottle?
Do the others say TRADE MARK REG'D?

All of the Canadian caps I had, even the RWB had the Canadian REG'D
All of my ACLs had the Canadian REG'D...I think they started this in the late 1930s early 40s.

Canadacan

Reaction score
the one you posted didn't come with the bottle?
Do the others say TRADE MARK REG'D?

All of the Canadian caps I had, even the RWB had the Canadian REG'D
All of my ACLs had the Canadian REG'D...I think they started this in the late 1930s early 40s.
The one I posted (TRADE MARK) came original with my bottle, all others I have are TRADE MARK REG'D

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51