Clearly Canadian Contents?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Yes this is a WW1 or WW2 RCAF issued stone ware bottle...but what did it contain please?

can't imagine ginger beer but you never know...found it in Fibber McGee's cupboard...

1726253539782.png

bottlebugs

Reaction score
hopefully some one will...I trot this out every fall for Remembrance Day...
I'm still a RCAF base brat at heart...I suspect real beer as few of the RCAF
I knew drank ginger beer...

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow, that's interesting and very strange! I can't figure out what it would have been for. Looks like a more or less typical early 20th century stoneware ale from the UK, but I can't think why it would have an RCAF decal on it. Doesn't look like the sort of decal that would stand up to repeated use, so presumably something commemorative, but I can't imagine what or why.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Hi CB,

Maybe I can provide some sticker insight. I grew up on a RCAF base in Manitoba. All
of my friends were from RCAF parents, mostly pilots. My Dad was Army and
scarce on the base. He was part of a technical group that serviced RCAF and CAF
aircraft, including transport helicopters. I got to join a RCAF pal at a scout sleepover at
the main RCAF facility where there was a meal servery. Everything had RCAF markings,
and even the facility was off limits to non RCAF personnel. My Dad had to wait out
in the parking lot to pick me up the next morning. He called the RCAF elitist. They
had their stickers on everything.

Unknown-1.jpeg

During the first and Second World War, Canadians were stationed in England as pilots
were always in short supply. I had some WW2 Coke bottles that were found on such
an airforce base in England. Just like the American counterparts, they were deemed
disposable and simply dumped after one use. They were made in the US but had only
Canadian markings. This would perhaps explain the cheap sticker and its limited usage.

The wings are Kings crown with a distinctly WW1 design. Whatever it contained, it wasn't
designed for repeated usage.

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I was born in Ottawa and lived on Hornell Drive (CFB Rockliffe) until the 408 moved to Rivers (Obodo) in 1964 and then moved back to Ottawa in 1970. We would have lived at Uplands
but my Dad retired not long after. The first 11 years of my life were on RCAF bases. We were
very lucky that we only moved twice. A lot of my friends lost track of each other because
the postings only lasted 3 years on the average. Base brats deal with loss better than most.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
I know a couple. He was at Coal Harbour in B.C along with some other bases over there. I believe he was also at St Thomas. And possibly some bases in other provinces maybe Manitoba. I'm not really sure I would have to look through all of his paperwork that he brought back to see exactly and take notes of the bases. He was also overseas in France, Germany, the U.K and probably other countries.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoVo1023