Digging Deeper

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I am always stunned to learn more about my childhood home near Rivers Manitoba.
My twin and I dug into the remnants of a burial mound in the spring of 1968. Thus
began my lifelong obsession with buried treasure, and of course, eventually bottles.

Rivers_Train_Station.JPG

1867. Canada is created in what was called the Confederation Act. I actually got to
see the Centennial Train in Rivers as a child in 1967. This railway was, as proposed,
inspired the 1867 Confederation of Canada. When I moved back to Ottawa, Manitoba
was celebrating it's centennial. I still have the silver dollar given to each of us at school.

Unknown-2.jpeg

1908. It was named after the world famous financial genius, Sir Charles Rivers Wilson,
who chose this desolate spot in the middle of nowhere, Manitoba to build the hub for
the Grand Trunk Railway. Just prior to his appointment as commissioner at the World's
Fair in Paris, Sir Charles paved the way for exploration of the pyramids in Egypt, which
just after his death led to the discovery of King Tut's tomb. Tesla, Edison, Verne and Eiffel
were among Sir Charles' World Fair selections. He also loved Biblical Archeology.

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpeg

1939. It was chosen as a pre-radar U-boat detection site, tracking intelligent signals
carried on the energy of lighting strikes around the world. This site soon after became
a RCAF training facility. I lived there as a base brat from 1964 to its closing in late 1970.

Unknown-3.jpeg

1964. The famous silent era comedian, Buster Keaton began production of his last
film and documentary, starting in Rivers, Manitoba. The first chapter of a recently
released biography is entitled, "Rivers, Manitoba". Buster claimed he was named after
Houdini saw him repeatedly falling (his trademark act) during his parents' Vaudeville
shows. Buster and his parents apparently got to know Houdini quite well.

Unknown-5.jpeg

"Rather than promote the idea that he was assisted by spirits, as did the Davenport
Brothers and others, Houdini's advertisements showed him making his escapes via
dematerializing, although Houdini himself never claimed to have supernatural
powers."

images.jpeg

This little town and Air Force base has been visited by kings and queens and celebrities beyond belief
over the years. I met our famous Prime Minister, P. E. Trudeau there, and will never forget his charisma.
This brief visit was perhaps the turning point in his election. My Mom, a staunch conservative, voted
for this playboy sporting the long hair and red rose boutonnière. His son is now our Prime Minister.

Unknown-7.jpeg

2024. CFB Rivers, Manitoba is nothing but a memory now, and as desolate as it's humble beginnings.

images-1.jpeg

This is what is left of my childhood home.

Last edited:

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
Wow it must be neat to see the house where you grew up all these years later. My Great Grandpa was in the R.C.A.F. he was all over the place during WW2.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
My wife stopped in a town a few years ago while visiting her brother in Saskatchewan...
She, being a girl (not that there's anything wrong with that) had to pee a lot. She
begged her brother to stop the car at the next town. He did. She ran into a local tavern
and did her business. When she got home we watched Corner Gas together and said
that she recognized the bar. She peed in the Dog River Hotel bathroom in Roleau ,
Saskatchewan!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51