Genie Geneology

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Genies

"Origin and History of the Genie Bottle

The Genie Bottle has its roots in ancient Middle Eastern mythology, specifically in the
Islamic tradition of the jinn."

main-qimg-fab37ce0532f868b18412fa91bbf678e-lq.jpeg

Crystal Balls

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the fortune telling object. For other uses, see Crystal ball (disambiguation).
For the Wikipedia editing policy about future events, see WP:CRYSTALBALL.
For the American commentator, see Krystal Ball.
The Crystal Ball by John William Waterhouse (1902)
A crystal ball is a crystal or glass ball commonly used in fortune-telling. It is generally associated with the performance of clairvoyance and scrying in particular. Other names include crystal sphere, gazing ball, shew stone, and show stone. In neopaganism it is sometimes called an orbuculum.

History​

By the fifth century CE, scrying using crystal balls was widespread within the Roman Empire and was condemned by the early medieval Christian Church as heretical.[1]
The tomb of Childeric I, a fifth-century king of the Franks, contained a 3.8 cm (1½") diameter transparent beryl globe.[2] The object is similar to other globes that were later found in tombs from the Merovingian period in France and the Saxon period in England. Some of these were complete with a frame suggesting an ornamental object.[3] It has been pointed out that these mounts are identical to those of later globes also believed to be used for magic or divination, indicating that these crystal globes may have been used for crystallomancy.[4][5]"

My Mystery Bowl

I have two pieces of pottery on my fireplace mantle, along with my bottles. The bowl was unidentified until now.
It's Anglo-Saxon circa 500 AD. This a broken example. Mine is intact.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Anglo-Saxon Roman period funerary bowl

The second piece is a Celtic Roman face bottle. It may have been used as a funerary bowl and is presently
uncorked as of just a few days ago. It was blocked with a scroll of Hebrew Torah translations. Its going back!

Unknown-2.jpeg

I wonder if I get three more wishes. Wait a minute ...I did!
(dee dee dee dee...now I'm at the Tower of Terror!)

s-l400.jpg
unnamed.png
pepsivarient41.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51