George Kovacs Blob Top From Raritan, NJ - Any Info Appreciated

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

quailman

Reaction score
Hello All. I acquired this bottle from someone cleaning out an old house. The slug plate says "GEORGE KOVACS RARITAN, NJ". Despite a thorough internet search, I've been unable to find anything related to this bottler. The sides have seams that go most of the way to the top and it appears to have its original lightning type closure. The underside of the base has an off-center "B" (could be an "8", but looks more like a "B" under close examination). The bottle stands about 9 3/8" tall. Does anyone know anything about this particular bottler? Is it a beer or soda bottle? And approximate age? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

kovacsbottle front.jpg

kovacsbottle close1.jpg

kovacsbottle close2.jpg

kovacsbottle under.jpg

kovacsbottle close3.jpg

quailman

Reaction score
Since I'm not having much luck getting information about this bottler, can anyone help me determine an approximate age of the bottle, as well as the meaning of the "B" on the bottom? Thanks for looking!

Skoda

Reaction score
Your bottle near certainly contained beer. The base marking, at least in the photos, looks very much like an "8" to me which would indicate a mold code- many beer bottles from the era yours is from also have various numbers embossed on to their bases which could indicate a wide variety of things, including plant locations. If it is in fact a "B", it could be a manufacturers mark (not finding any that would match timeframe-wise on the database I use) or some other code. Age of manufacture is late 1880's-very early 1900's. Your bottle is referenced here: http://sodasandbeers.com/SABShowBottle.aspx?Bottle=62134AA&Firm_Number=62134

Seems like it's a pretty rare one. Also I have to say, fantastic photography!

quailman

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information. I'll keep looking for additional info about the bottler. I found a Facebook page for NJ bottle collectors. Maybe they will be able to help.

Not that it matters much, but the mark under the base still looks a little more like a "B" when held in hand (rather large, approximately 3/8" tall). I did find the following information at the following website: https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/BOther.pdf

"Later beer bottles (ca. 1890s-possibly 1910 or later) were occasionally embossed with slightly smaller letters – including virtually every letter of the alphabet. These were typically less than 3/4" in height, still much larger than the typical later “B” logos used during the early 20 century by Charles Boldt and later by both the Brockway and Buck plants. These larger letters have been recorded on both bases – usually off center – and on bottle heels – usually accompanied by smaller numbers, between one and three digits. Currently, we have no Figure 1 – B on beer base 387 explanation for these marks – although all were probably some form of mold code, rather than logos of manufacturers."

Either way, it's likely an unexplained mold mark or plant code, as you suggested. Thanks again!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29