Help w/ Owens-Illinois ketchup bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Paradoxgrowth

Reaction score
I found this bottle buried in my backyard, in Cincinnati, OH and it is very beautiful. I was hoping you professionals could help date this bottle and provide any additional information you might have about it. Please allow me to apologize, as I must confess I do not know much about bottles.

From my research, I believe it was manufactured by the Owens-Illinois Glass Co., as evidenced by the marking on the bottle. Given its shape, it looks like a ketchup bottle, but I am unsure of the brand. It has a goldy closure, without a screw cap. It doesn’t appear to accommodate a cork, but I did not find it with any metal around the neck.

On the lower end of the bottle, there is a "708," and on the opposite side, there is the number "9." There are only two numbers flanking the Owens-Illinois logo on the bottom: "2" and "9." Based on this my guess is 1939 manufactured at Huntington, West Virginia.

Please let me know if there is any additional information you need. Thank you so much for your expertise.

Attachments

• IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4645.jpeg
    IMG_4645.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4644.jpeg
    IMG_4644.jpeg
    808.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4643.jpeg
    IMG_4643.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
You are absolutely right. Made by Owens Illinois glass company in Huntington, West Virginia in 1939. It looks like a ketchup to me too. I don't know what the brand could be and I'm not sure what the other numbers are. Maybe one is a mould number?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29