Husky beverages bottles. Please help it's been driving me crazy!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
Yesterday I dug up four husky beverages bottles at an old sawmill buried in the sawdust pile. All of the bottles were not perfect, but were not too bad either. One had two cracks through it and unfortunately it didn't make the drive home it split into three pieces. I found one of those bottles in the same place before that was laying on the surface. So I found five in total there. Before we went to The sawmill we also stopped at an abandoned gold mine that was opened between 1930 and 1939, but there was prospecting there every decade since it closed and another shaft was started in the 80s so you can find trash from 1930 until now. I looked in the dumps there. In the dumps there wasn't really anything I wanted to take home, a lot of ketchup and medicine bottles but none of them were embossed with anything except maybe the contents. Lots of 1930s stuff with 40 stuff mixed in the dumps. In the first dump I found maybe 4 or 5 bottle caps, but they weren't in the greatest shape with a lot of bubbles in the paint all of the caps were completely rusty so I couldn't see what it was. In the second dump I ended up finding the band to a jar which I decided to keep because some of my jars were missing the bands/rings. I also found another bottle cap that was in much better shape with only one bubble. I decided to take that one and I gave it to my Grandpa. Later on he told me he somehow lost it but I didn't matter too much to me because I figured it was probably a Canada Bud cap which I already have two of. Later on my grandma found again in the back of their ATV. It's a good thing that she did because it was not a Canada Bud cap after cleaning it with lemon juice it was revealed that it was actually a Husky bottle cap which is neat because that's the same day I found the four Husky bottles. I've done lots of research on the company Dominion bottling works in Kirkland Lake Ontario. And it says they bottled three brands, Husky Beverages, Husky Dry Ginger Ale, and Coca-Cola. It doesn't say what flavors Husky beverages made, but I figured because they were just a small town cheaper brand that they probably made most of the normal flavors. The cap says cream soda on it, so they definitely made cream soda. After looking at some archive newspapers and some other sources it looks like Dominion bottling works was started in 1927. I'm not 100% sure when the company closed but every year it is listed in the Jewish Chronicle which is a newspaper in Northern Ontario, except it is not listed after 1945. This makes me think that they closed in 1945. The other option is that they just didn't advertise in that newspaper after that. In about the same time (1945) in the same newspaper other bottlers seem to pop up and advertise, Kist beverages, there is mentions of Canada Dry, and other small bottlers. Maybe Dominion bottling works closed because of these other bottlers? The bottles I have were made by consumers glass company which makes it hard to date because consumers didn't put date codes on bottles until later on. I've seen other Husky beverages bottles on this site and was wondering if we could come up with a rough timeline or evolution of Dominion glass company/the Husky beverages bottles. Maybe others could share there own bottles and insight? Around the cap it says Dominion bottling works Kirkland Lake. Contains (a number I can't make out) of (and another number or fraction I can't make out) Benzone. Soda colored MCI or MCL I can't tell. The front says Drink Husky Beverages. And the back says Dominion Bottling Works Kirkland Lake Ontario. The bottle has six husky heads on it. On the bottom it has the Consumer's glass company logo and a mould number. Two bottles have a mold number one and one bottle has a mold number two. Around the base it says Contents 6 fluid ounces. These are my questions, how old are my bottles? How old is the cap? Roughly where does it fit in the timeline? Where does the other known bottles fit in the timeline? What does MCI or MCL mean? Does anybody have any pictures of any caps? Has anybody seen this cap before? How rare is the bottle and cap? And how much are they worth? When was the ACL version of this bottle made? And does it have date codes? Does anybody have any of these bottles that is made by Dominion glass company instead of consumers glass company? Also if anybody has any information at all about the brand or the company especially when they closed please let me know. By the way we live near Matachawan Ontario, so not that far away from Kirkland Lake.

Any information at all is appreciated and helps alot. I'm counting on you! But no pressure.

Thanks,
-Austin Priddle
IMG_20240905_174608533.jpg
IMG_20240905_174818442.jpg
IMG_20240905_174700577.jpg
IMG_20240905_174757286.jpg
IMG_20240905_174714744.jpg
IMG_20240905_174740519.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Husky Beverages, but wow that cap is a great find! It can be tough to find marked caps from the small town bottlers because a lot of them used generic caps without their names on them. Yours turned out to be in great shape under the rust too! I bet that's a pretty rare cap.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
I heard the bottles can be quite rare, so just imagine how rare the cap is. The next time we are at the mine I'll be bringing more caps home. Maybe I will find the other flavors.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
well I'll be dog gone if I know then, but I'll hound some of my
other bottle friends to see if they can sniff up an answer...
reg'd 1927 doesn't mean the bottle was from 1927...it means
the trade mark was in most cases...because of the shape and
unmarked base I am betting its 1927-1930 as Art Deco pretty
much died at the end of the roaring twenties and designs were
austere, with larger quantities for the same price as Coke..

1927-1930?
Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg
1930s?

1940s?
Unknown-3.jpeg

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I barked out your inquiry on the pup vine and they all seem to agree...

Unknown-4.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg

Pepsi/Husky 1927...big promotion, especially the archaic "drink' promotion
typical of the roaring twenties

images.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

Dirty thirties, big trade mark "since 1927" "famous for 30 years" emphasis on established brand

s-l500-1.jpg
Unknown-3.jpeg

Big bottle, better bang for your buck...1940s War-time sugar price increase, rations...
I'll bet this big Husky bottle cost more than a nickel...woof!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
a Coke collector whelp I know just wimpered and wanted to whine out his opinion...

1920s Coke...don't have dates Domglas or Consumers

s-l140-5.jpg
s-l140-6.jpg

1930s, 40s, 50s Coke...all have dates...Domglas or Consumers

s-l140-3.jpg
s-l140-4.jpg
s-l140-2.jpg
s-l140-1.jpg

any other pooch opinions?

Attachments

• s-l140-2.jpg
    s-l140-2.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 14

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
Wonderful work, maybe mine is a 20s bottle after all. That's what it definitely looks like. I make the connection to the Pepsi peanut style bottle right away. Infact I thought I might have found one the first time, wouldn't that be nice! I didn't know that Consumers had date codes that early. That's very interesting. I'm curious to know if any of the other bottles had date codes. Then we would know for sure. Is that first picture of your bottle? Also thanks for the information on the coke bottles.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Wonderful work, maybe mine is a 20s bottle after all. That's what it definitely looks like. I make the connection to the Pepsi peanut style bottle right away. Infact I thought I might have found one the first time, wouldn't that be nice! I didn't know that Consumers had date codes that early. That's very interesting. I'm curious to know if any of the other bottles had date codes. Then we would know for sure. Is that first picture of your bottle? Also thanks for the information on the coke bottles.
I've had all the Pepsi bottles except the Chas Wilson
never had a Husky
The Pepsi is Canadacans
I've owned all the Cokes once upon a time...

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51