Japanese Beers and Hawaiian Sodas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Long time no see. First proper dig in quite a while. We checked out a spot in central Oahu that was once nearby a plantation camp. The gulch bank was made of glass! I should've taken a photo or two, it was quite the sight. I was just too busy looking through all of it lol.

We pulled quite a few Japanese beers. Nothing too rare but as I'm writing a book on them, I took a couple unusual variations
IMG_20240610_084830539_HDR.jpg

The left three are all from the Dai Nippon Brewery Company which lasted from 1906-1949. It accounted for roughly 70% of Japan's beverage industry and held still popular brands such as Asahi, Sapporo, and Yebisu. Here are some text variations. The layout of the left-most is different from the others and the one at center has smaller embossing.

Second from right is a pre-war Kirin beer. Nothing special but this one is a slight color variation from the one I already have. On the far right is a mildly uncommon 1930s Calpico which is a sweet lactic acid drink to help settle the stomach. I don't have this one yet, and I cannot find another like it. This company was founded in 1917 and you can still buy it, and all of the other products today.

IMG_20240610_085038063_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately all of these are broken but I will be cutting them down into cups. On the far left is a late teens early twenties Wahiawa Soda. Next to it is a blank bimal Soda, then a Kawamata Soy sauce bottle and lastly, a throwback Kirin Beer from the 1910s.
IMG_20240610_085205753_HDR.jpg

Some odds and ends here. A beautiful amethyst lamp base. I'll be cutting the top off and turning it into a vase. In the middle is an almost intact tea cup and half a rice bowl. On the right is a cosmetic container from Hirao Bunten. Picture of the embossing below.
IMG_20240610_085346137_HDR.jpg

That's all I have for you lovely people. Hopefully it's something a little different than what you normally see.

Hope to be digging more often now. With love from Hawaii, Aloha . . .

Attachments

• IMG_20240610_085205753_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240610_085205753_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20240610_085346137_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240610_085346137_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Do you have any clay ones like this?
I do not but these are called "Tokkuri". They were ceramic bottles loaned to customers who were able to purchase and then refill their jugs. The writing often has the name the brewer or distributor. Yours is written in a pretty heavy calligraphic style so I can't say what it says exactly. I can read "菖蒲" [Shōbū] which means "Japanese Iris". There is a third character which I am unable to read. Might be like "store" or something. These are usually worth around $100.

This bottle is a 1930s-40s Fuji-Masamune Saké bottle. I have one from the same company but without the Kanji embossing. Worth maybe $30-$40. Mine is on the right.
FB_IMG_1723883158480.jpg

If your Fuji-Masamune is available, I'd be interested in purchasing it. Let me know. You got some cool bottles.

Bottlebro

Reaction score
Mahalo for the info. You interested in buying? I have about 6 of these clay sake bottles. I got them from a lady who lived in Japan and then moved to Hawaii. I would sell for a lot less than $100 ea.

Bottlebro

Reaction score
I do not but these are called "Tokkuri". They were ceramic bottles loaned to customers who were able to purchase and then refill their jugs. The writing often has the name the brewer or distributor. Yours is written in a pretty heavy calligraphic style so I can't say what it says exactly. I can read "菖蒲" [Shōbū] which means "Japanese Iris". There is a third character which I am unable to read. Might be like "store" or something. These are usually worth around $100.

This bottle is a 1930s-40s Fuji-Masamune Saké bottle. I have one from the same company but without the Kanji embossing. Worth maybe $30-$40. Mine is on the right.
View attachment 257413
If your Fuji-Masamune is available, I'd be interested in purchasing it. Let me know. You got some cool bottles.
Sure. Contact me via email. I don't want to post my phone number to the whole world. Uradaigo@hotmail.com

wikiwiki

Reaction score
Very nice bottles! I am new here but live on a property north of Hilo that has sugar mill history and unearth old bottles from time to time. Looking forward to seeing your book on Japanese bottles!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Very nice bottles! I am new here but live on a property north of Hilo that has sugar mill history and unearth old bottles from time to time. Looking forward to seeing your book on Japanese bottles!
Awesome. Big island get all the Japanese bottles. Can personal message me if you want to get in touch. Happy to translate some bottles (and maybe buy some if you interested)

wikiwiki

Reaction score
Thanks! I have one bottle in particular that I can’t seem to find information on. It’s a large beer with the following raised lettering. ANGLO JAPANESE BREWERY COMPANY LTD TOKYO.

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members