June River Recap

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FreeRangeAsparagus

Reaction score
Howdy folks, been a while since I’ve posted on here. I didn’t do much collecting over the winter or spring, but I’ve been taking advantage of the Massachusetts heat wave and spending hours in the river lately. I’ve started at a new spot located at the site of an old dance hall, a shoe factory, a dump, and a bridge. It’s been incredibly fruitful and I’m excited to show some of it off. I haven’t cleaned all of it yet so I will provide descriptions for all pieces.

In the time I have taken to write this post, I have gone out a number of times and collected even more, including another 5 grain bags of slicks to go to the recycling. It may take me all summer to truly post everything I’ve found.

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 7.49.38 PM.png

Embossed
GENERAL SELTZER QUINCY MASS.
H.P. HOOD quart dairy
C. MANZ BREWING CO. PHILA.
JACOB WIRTH BOSTON
JAS E. COOPER PHARMACY SOUTH NATICK
MYHAVEN FARM WELLESLEY MASS.1/2 pint dairy
C.S. STILLMAN WELLESLEY MASS quart dairy
FATHER JOHN’S MEDICINE LOWELL MASS.
CLARK & ROBERTS BOSTON MASS.
CITRATE MAGNESIA. This one has extensive embossed instructions on the back. If you want to use it as a laxative, drink a wine glass full. But if you want to use it as a cathartic, drink half the bottle. My question is, if you drink half the bottle, do you still poop your pants while you go to sleep? Does the laxative effect only happen at low doses? Interesting…
HORLICK’S MALTED MILK
CLEARBROOK HIGH GRAIN BOURBON WHISKEY
MILK OF MAGNESIA cobalt
LIQUOZONE MADE & MANUFACTURED ONLY BY LIQUOZONE CO CHICAGO USA
LISTERINE LAMBERT PHARMACEUTICAL
LANDER’S
NOXZEMA
PARKER inkwell 4oz
HIGGINS DRAWING INK
JAS E. COOPER
BROMOSELTZER
This one has a cool seal, I can't find any matches online.
SLOAN’S LINIMENT

Slicks
Clear round-bottom bottle
Biggest cobalt jar I’ve ever seen
Stout whiskey
Clear flask
Small cobalt jar
Clear flask
Another small cobalt jar (above)
Green hand-blown whiskey
2 aqua bottles, interesting shape
Clear ribbed bottle
Green hand-blown wine bottle

Minis
My fiancé really likes small bottles so I always keep all the interesting ones. Unfortunately there was a cool grenade-esque salt shaker that cracked in half on the ride back home, that one is up at the top.

Cool Shape
I like these small round jars, they remind me of a fig spread or pesto jar. I’m excited to have them cleaned up and put some small flowers in them. Somewhere my cats won’t eat them.

Wedding
My wonderful fiancé who puts up with all this glass collecting had a great idea to use some of the larger jars for bouquets, so I have been on the lookout for big Atlas and Ball mason jars. So far I’ve pulled the 4 here plus another couple and they’ve cleaned up really well. When the wedding happens next year, I’ll post some glamor shots of the bouquets :)

And here are 247 slicks that are headed to recycling.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 3.41.22 PM.png

Beyond the standard glass bottles and jars, I also collected a lot of pottery, milk glass, and miscellaneous items from the dump site that is eroding into the river.

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 7.43.54 PM.png

Pottery
Intact crock jug, first intact piece I have found in a long, long time.
Crock jug top. I occasionally save pieces of crock jugs, this will clean up nicely.
3 gallon crock. This one was entirely in the mud save for the rim. I had to dive down, plant my feet on either side, and pull as hard as I could to get it out. It has a small crack running down one side but is otherwise in perfect shape
Small reddish pitcher. It’s in perfect shape, just needs a little clean and I’ll use it to water my plants.
Yellow coffee pot (?). Another one in perfect condition. It has a description on the bottom but I can’t make it out yet.
Green decorative bowl. I’m sure there’s a fancy name for this. It’s pretty!

Milk Glass
Not much to say here, I love milk glass and I have a problem of keeping all the pieces I come across. There’s a few Pond’s cold cream, some really small shallow ones, and the tall, relatively clean one is a Tussy stick deodorant from the 1950s.

Lids
These came mostly from the stretch of river near the dump. Some clear fruit jar lids, one milk glass one, and some ceramic lids. I have no idea what I’m going to do with these but I think they’re cool. I think my “thinking ___ is cool” will be a real problem for the rest of this cleanup.

China
Now this actually serves a purpose. I’ve made friends with a local jeweler who is interested in working with antique china to make rings and pendants. So I’ve been saving all the pieces with patterns.
In this lot there’s two intact bowls stamped Morris Gordon & Sons Inc., but both stamps are different. One I dated to the 30s and one to the 60s (I think).

Misc.
This is where the real finds are for this collection.

Off-yellow plastic bowl. Stamped as Boontonware.
Telephone pole glass insulator. Clear, no embossing except a star. My mom collects these so I’ll clean it up and give it to her as a present.
1950s Ovaltine red plastic cup. It features a drawing of Howdy Doody from The Howdy Doody Show saying “HOWDY DOODY.. BE KEEN-BE KEEN DRINK CHOCOLATE FLAVORED OVALTINE!”
Brass handle
Silver plated spoon
“Herb” pipe. Found this one under a pedestrian bridge… I too get clumsy when I'm "sleepy."
Ceramic lamp stand. It still has some of the electronics in it, but is broken on one side. I think I may throw this out, but it was cool to find in the mud.

3 pieces of a phonograph, one is etched “* EXHIBITION * VICTOR TALKING MACH. CO. CAMDEN. N.J.”
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 3.52.26 PM.png

Inkwell. This inkwell is special because there was some ink left in the bottom! I shook out the mud but stopped when the water started running purple. I’m hoping to somehow get the rest of the ink cake out and mix it into usable ink for some friends who do calligraphy.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 3.52.50 PM.png

Button / brooch. This little button was half-buried in the sand. It is shaped like a sun and has a hand-painted rose in the middle.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 3.52.18 PM.png

Hand mirror. At first I thought it was a fancy magnifying glass, but there is a backing though it is mostly worn out. The handle is pretty much rusted away but the rim of the mirror has great scrollwork designs all over it. I love scrollwork.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 3.51.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 3.52.11 PM.png

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Reaction score
wow you found lots of cool looking bottles thanks for the great pictures and story

wikiwiki

Reaction score
Howdy folks, been a while since I’ve posted on here. I didn’t do much collecting over the winter or spring, but I’ve been taking advantage of the Massachusetts heat wave and spending hours in the river lately. I’ve started at a new spot located at the site of an old dance hall, a shoe factory, a dump, and a bridge. It’s been incredibly fruitful and I’m excited to show some of it off. I haven’t cleaned all of it yet so I will provide descriptions for all pieces.

In the time I have taken to write this post, I have gone out a number of times and collected even more, including another 5 grain bags of slicks to go to the recycling. It may take me all summer to truly post everything I’ve found.

View attachment 255954

Embossed
GENERAL SELTZER QUINCY MASS.
H.P. HOOD quart dairy
C. MANZ BREWING CO. PHILA.
JACOB WIRTH BOSTON
JAS E. COOPER PHARMACY SOUTH NATICK
MYHAVEN FARM WELLESLEY MASS.1/2 pint dairy
C.S. STILLMAN WELLESLEY MASS quart dairy
FATHER JOHN’S MEDICINE LOWELL MASS.
CLARK & ROBERTS BOSTON MASS.
CITRATE MAGNESIA. This one has extensive embossed instructions on the back. If you want to use it as a laxative, drink a wine glass full. But if you want to use it as a cathartic, drink half the bottle. My question is, if you drink half the bottle, do you still poop your pants while you go to sleep? Does the laxative effect only happen at low doses? Interesting…
HORLICK’S MALTED MILK
CLEARBROOK HIGH GRAIN BOURBON WHISKEY
MILK OF MAGNESIA cobalt
LIQUOZONE MADE & MANUFACTURED ONLY BY LIQUOZONE CO CHICAGO USA
LISTERINE LAMBERT PHARMACEUTICAL
LANDER’S
NOXZEMA
PARKER inkwell 4oz
HIGGINS DRAWING INK
JAS E. COOPER
BROMOSELTZER
This one has a cool seal, I can't find any matches online.
SLOAN’S LINIMENT

Slicks
Clear round-bottom bottle
Biggest cobalt jar I’ve ever seen
Stout whiskey
Clear flask
Small cobalt jar
Clear flask
Another small cobalt jar (above)
Green hand-blown whiskey
2 aqua bottles, interesting shape
Clear ribbed bottle
Green hand-blown wine bottle

Minis
My fiancé really likes small bottles so I always keep all the interesting ones. Unfortunately there was a cool grenade-esque salt shaker that cracked in half on the ride back home, that one is up at the top.

Cool Shape
I like these small round jars, they remind me of a fig spread or pesto jar. I’m excited to have them cleaned up and put some small flowers in them. Somewhere my cats won’t eat them.

Wedding
My wonderful fiancé who puts up with all this glass collecting had a great idea to use some of the larger jars for bouquets, so I have been on the lookout for big Atlas and Ball mason jars. So far I’ve pulled the 4 here plus another couple and they’ve cleaned up really well. When the wedding happens next year, I’ll post some glamor shots of the bouquets :)

And here are 247 slicks that are headed to recycling.
View attachment 255955

Beyond the standard glass bottles and jars, I also collected a lot of pottery, milk glass, and miscellaneous items from the dump site that is eroding into the river.

View attachment 255956

Pottery
Intact crock jug, first intact piece I have found in a long, long time.
Crock jug top. I occasionally save pieces of crock jugs, this will clean up nicely.
3 gallon crock. This one was entirely in the mud save for the rim. I had to dive down, plant my feet on either side, and pull as hard as I could to get it out. It has a small crack running down one side but is otherwise in perfect shape
Small reddish pitcher. It’s in perfect shape, just needs a little clean and I’ll use it to water my plants.
Yellow coffee pot (?). Another one in perfect condition. It has a description on the bottom but I can’t make it out yet.
Green decorative bowl. I’m sure there’s a fancy name for this. It’s pretty!

Milk Glass
Not much to say here, I love milk glass and I have a problem of keeping all the pieces I come across. There’s a few Pond’s cold cream, some really small shallow ones, and the tall, relatively clean one is a Tussy stick deodorant from the 1950s.

Lids
These came mostly from the stretch of river near the dump. Some clear fruit jar lids, one milk glass one, and some ceramic lids. I have no idea what I’m going to do with these but I think they’re cool. I think my “thinking ___ is cool” will be a real problem for the rest of this cleanup.

China
Now this actually serves a purpose. I’ve made friends with a local jeweler who is interested in working with antique china to make rings and pendants. So I’ve been saving all the pieces with patterns.
In this lot there’s two intact bowls stamped Morris Gordon & Sons Inc., but both stamps are different. One I dated to the 30s and one to the 60s (I think).

Misc.
This is where the real finds are for this collection.

Telephone pole glass insulator. Clear, no embossing except a star. My mom collects these so I’ll clean it up and give it to her as a present.
1950s Ovaltine red plastic cup. It features a drawing of Howdy Doody from The Howdy Doody Show saying “HOWDY DOODY.. BE KEEN-BE KEEN DRINK CHOCOLATE FLAVORED OVALTINE!”
Brass handle
Silver plated spoon
“Herb” pipe. Found this one under a pedestrian bridge… I too get clumsy when I'm "sleepy."
Ceramic lamp stand. It still has some of the electronics in it, but is broken on one side. I think I may throw this out, but it was cool to find in the mud.

3 pieces of a phonograph, one is etched “* EXHIBITION * VICTOR TALKING MACH. CO. CAMDEN. N.J.”
View attachment 255957

Inkwell. This inkwell is special because there was some ink left in the bottom! I shook out the mud but stopped when the water started running purple. I’m hoping to somehow get the rest of the ink cake out and mix it into usable ink for some friends who do calligraphy.
View attachment 255959

Button / brooch. This little button was half-buried in the sand. It is shaped like a sun and has a hand-painted rose in the middle.
View attachment 255958

Hand mirror. At first I thought it was a fancy magnifying glass, but there is a backing though it is mostly worn out. The handle is pretty much rusted away but the rim of the mirror has great scrollwork designs all over it. I love scrollwork.
View attachment 255960
View attachment 255961
Very nice finds! Thanks for posting and inspiring others to keep searching for these lost gems.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29