New to the forum looking for help dating two bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Yukonfinds

Reaction score
IMG_8780.jpeg
IMG_8781.jpeg
IMG_8782.jpeg
IMG_8783.jpeg

Hi everyone I am new to this forum (and antiques!) and I am looking for help dating these two bottles. The first one is a crown glass jar, the only text on the bottle is the word “crown” and “D1” below. Nothing on the base of the jar. The glass has an aqua hue. The second is a rectangular jar with a “d” inside a diamond on the base, no other markings.

Thanks!!

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
The Crown jar looks like an early one. Crown started putting dates on the bottom in 1928, but not all jars had a date in that year. This means that your jar is 1929 or older. The D in a diamond is for Dominion glass company. They started using that makers mark in the same year (1928), but not all jars or bottles had the mark in 1928. This means that your other jar is probably 1929 or newer. I'm going to guess 1930s. As for the Crown jar I'm going to guess it was made sometime between 1910 and 1929. Although it could be slightly older. There's not really anyway you can tell exactly when the older jars/bottles were made because there's no date codes on them. I have a couple videos on my YouTube channel on different Crown jars. You might find it interesting. Here's the link if you want to check it out. https://youtube.com/@stepbackintime-history?si=NPFNm9ohHfPjarZK eventually I'm going to make a video on how to date Crown jars. It's quite simple once you learn it. Anyways I hope this helps!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The Crown jar looks like an early one. Crown started putting dates on the bottom in 1928, but not all jars had a date in that year. This means that your jar is 1929 or older. The D in a diamond is for Dominion glass company. They started using that makers mark in the same year (1928), but not all jars or bottles had the mark in 1928. This means that your other jar is probably 1929 or newer. I'm going to guess 1930s. As for the Crown jar I'm going to guess it was made sometime between 1910 and 1929. Although it could be slightly older. There's not really anyway you can tell exactly when the older jars/bottles were made because there's no date codes on them. I have a couple videos on my YouTube channel on different Crown jars. You might find it interesting. Here's the link if you want to check it out. https://youtube.com/@stepbackintime-history?si=NPFNm9ohHfPjarZK eventually I'm going to make a video on how to date Crown jars. It's quite simple once you learn it. Anyways I hope this helps!
D in a diamond almost certainly predates 1928, the mark can be found on quite a few BIM bottles and I'm pretty sure those weren't being produced much in Canada by 1928.

I agree on the dates you're suggesting, although the Dominion jar could be a bit older.

By the way OP, that lid does not match that second jar. Looks like a lid to a Perfect Seal jar or another with a wire closure of some sort.

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
So when would you say they started using the D in a diamond mark? Right now I not have anything else to go off of. All I know is that in 1928 or older Crown jars are marked with nothing not even Made in Canada., but after 1928 they all have a date the Dominion glass company mark and Made in Canada. I have these jars in my own collection so I can see when they changed it. This is also what it says on the internet. I'm not sure what a BIM jar is so I'm not sure what decade that could be.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
So when would you say they started using the D in a diamond mark? Right now I not have anything else to go off of. All I know is that in 1928 or older Crown jars are marked with nothing not even Made in Canada., but after 1928 they all have a date the Dominion glass company mark and Made in Canada. I have these jars in my own collection so I can see when they changed it. This is also what it says on the internet. I'm not sure what a BIM jar is so I'm not sure what decade that could be.
I'm not sure when the mark was first used but I would assume it was not long after Dominion was formed in 1913. I know that the internet says the mark was first used in 1928, but this is almost certainly an example of one person getting it wrong and everyone else repeating the same information afterwards. The 1928 date originated with this quote from Thomas King's 1987 book Glass in Canada: "about the same time, a family had established a distillery in the Province of Saskatchewan. Made under normal conditions, their product was far superior to that produced illegally in the American “stills.” As a result, and with some international connivance, their superior product was appearing in unmarked bottles in the mid-west United States. However, it was too good to last, and about 1927 the American authorities required that all glass containers entering the United States from Canada have embossed on them the country of origin. As a result, the company [i.e., Dominion Glass Co.] adopted the Diamond Dtrademark." This is, frankly, nonsense, and I can't understand why Bill Lockhart accepted it uncritically when he repeated it in his SHA article. Several things are wrong with this quote: 1. A logo is not a country of origin. 2. The illegal liquor was being smuggled illegally, so who cared about labelling requirements? 3. The Americans knew that the illegal liquor was coming from Canada, it usually said so on the label and anyway, Canada was known as the country with all the liquor. Why would they care where the bottles were being made, and why would anyone follow this law?
This whole explanation makes about as much sense as saying that the reason Ziploc bags say "Ziploc" is because the US government passed a law requiring drug cartels to mark their bags of cocaine with the country where the bag itself was manufactured, in order to stop drug smuggling.

I'm not too familiar with the Crown jars so I can't speak to the dates on those, I'm just referring to the logo itself. BIM stands for blown in mold, as in not made by an automatic bottle machine (ABM). BIM bottles were largely phased out in Canada in the 1920s, apart from specialty glassware, so a BIM bottle with a D in a diamond logo is probably from the 1910s or early 1920s.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I tend to agree with Canadianbottles...

a perfect example of this is the much misquoted "D19" Coke bottle...

I have seen a multitude of variations, with a diamond on the
heel with a "19" in the middle...its unlikely that all these
variations were made for just one year...I figure they were
still being made in to the early 1920s.

some versions that I have seen look more like a D

" I9" ... a bit of a fancy curl on the letter D could easily be transcribed
as 19 by the mold maker, especially if the year it was made was 1919!

Unknown.jpeg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cemrik1980