New to the forum looking for help dating two bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Step Back In Time

Reaction score
That's interesting! There's a guy that comes up to stay at our lodge who used to work for Dominion glass company. When he comes up I'll have to ask him maybe knows a little bit more you never know. To me it makes sense that some older bottles would be marked with the D in a diamond logo but on Crown jars there has never been one marked with the D in The diamond logo before 1929 that anybody knows of. I was at a thrift store last year and they had shelves and shelves full of pint and quart-sized Crown jars. They had Crown jars as far back as the early 20s and they went to the late 60s every single one after 1929 was marked with the year and the Dominion glass company logo it was also marked made in Canada. Every single jar before that had nothing except the Crown logo and the word Crown. The others were all a light shade of blue rather than the clear jars that were made after 1929.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
it was a more brittle form of glass that predates the clear "tempered" glass used in bottles today.
It usually was slightly green or aqua in colour. It fragmented like flint.

Coke in Canada switched to this clear glass in the 1920s. I'll expect that other vets here can explain this better. Maybe that's why we only start seeing the Domglas mark on Coke bottles after about 1928.

bottlebugs

Reaction score
"A misnomer for English and American lead glass. The term came into use in 1674, when George Ravenscroft’s new glass formula included ground, calcined flint as a source of silica. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the term was applied to decolorized glass, even when it contained no flint."

Clear or partially decolourized glass was commonly called flint glass for years. Much of Canadian
glass in the 1920s switched to clear glass thus the predated name of "flint" was common
amongst collectors.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cemrik1980