Old Kerry Beverages - embossed & virtually no space for label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
"Stippled Glass - A type of textured glass characterized by round or oval protuberances" From http://www.albanyinstitute.org/education/archive/tiffany/tiffany.glossary.htm

light-on-glass.jpg

DKF

Reaction score
Interesting. I saw that in my research, but it seems to be an outlier. Stippling in general is the creation of patterns with small dots. It's a technique used in many media, especially paint. As I understand it, glass stippling is creating decorative patterns on the surface using a tool, sometimes diamond-tipped, to form the dots by tiny indentations. I've never heard of a pebbled shower stall door referred to as "stippled."

surfaceone

Reaction score
As I understand it, glass stippling is creating decorative patterns on the surface using a tool, sometimes diamond-tipped, to form the dots by tiny indentations.

Hey Donald,

You're quite right as far as you go. Sorry for the large picture...

ori_2063_1931186870_1111957_stipple_01.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Did'ya see the nice one featured On This Page?

With paint, I'd be more incline to call the technique Pointillism.

Seurat-La_Parade_detail.jpg

Now, were you to employ this same process of engraving to the bottle mould, what sort of texture would you achieve?

stippliedbase.jpg

"Stippling or Knurling

The bases of mid to late 20th century, machine-made bottles very commonly have a textured effect covering all or a portion of the base - see the image to the left. There were several practical reasons for this feature: the bottles would have a reduced base surface contact decreasing drag on the conveyor belts moving them within the glass factory and by purchasers/users; to hide product related sediment; to hide the suction scar (primarily on Owens Automatic Bottle Machine products); and for at least one specific machine operational reason (Phil Perry, engineer with the Owens-Illinois Glass Co., pers. comm. 2010). The noted conveyor belt utility would only involve the stippling on the resting surface of the bottle base - like that on the 1941 beer bottle base below where the stippling pattern is just on the outside base edge where contact would occur. Various stippling patterns were also added to bottle bases for largely esthetic reasons, such as the 1959 green soda bottle base to the left. None of the stippling - given the indented nature of the base center and lack of stippling on the resting surface - would have come in contact with the conveyor belt.

owensbase.jpg

Stippling is shown on both the bottle bases in the images and was typically produced by hand punching the base plate of the bottle mold. Knurling was machine impressed on the base plate. Practically speaking for the purposes of this website, the difference between the two is unimportant and the precise "look" of these base designs varies quite a bit over time, with different bottle types and between bottle makers..." Thanks Bill.

view_nailsea_1002stp100a.jpg
From.

DKF

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what Seurat called his technique, if he'd called it anything at all, but as I understand the art term, "pointillism" is merely a subspecies of stippling applied to create the effect of blended colors from a distance. "Stippling" is indeed the word used by painters to identify the general technique of applying paint in dots.

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DKF

Well, I'm not sure what Seurat called his technique, if he'd called it anything at all, but as I understand the art term, "pointillism" is merely a subspecies of stippling applied to create the effect of blended colors from a distance.  "Stippling" is indeed the word used by painters to identify the general technique of applying paint in dots.

Yo Donald,

I'm not sure what Georges Seurat called it either, Pointillism shouldn't be far off, I should think.

"dotted adj.
pointillé" From.

Whatever he called it, he communicated pretty well with his associate, Paul Signac.

Signac.jpg

"Stipple" is one of those wonderful words whose "meaning" can have 2 diametrically opposite meanings:

"1stip·ple verb ˈsti-pəl
stip·pled stip·pling

Definition of STIPPLE

transitive verb
1: to engrave by means of dots and flicks

2a : to make by small short touches (as of paint or ink) that together produce an even or softly graded shadow

b : to apply (as paint) by repeated small touches

3: speckle, fleck" Thanks Merriam.

I'm gonna keep on calling it "stippling," myself. At least Pat and I will know of which we speak.

You keep talking about "painters," what kinda painters do you mean? If out searching for a stippling brush, you'd find this; "Stippling brush (neither applies or removes material, but merely adds pattern)" From.

artworks-000004887598-iffjuh-crop.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandyVF