Old Tabasco Label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Does anybody recognize this old Tabasco Sauce Label? I've never seen one like this.
IMG_4290.jpeg

This should be circa 1890s. Interesting since my ancestors come from Louisiana.
I know that B. F. Trapé (a former McIlhenny employee) founded his own hot sauce company in 1898 which he initially also called Tabasco until a lawsuit in 1906.
Trappeys, a. k. a. Trappey's red devil has long used the devil as its logo. Perhaps this could be B. F. Trapé's Tabasco sauce with the devil?!

Hot sauce is so big in Louisiana. This one is pretty interesting.

CCB420

Reaction score
Being from Louisiana, I can say I've never seen one of those! Your explanation of trappeys makes sense!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
zooming in I THINK the word around the feet of the devil figure is Chicago. Not 100% sure on that but I think that's what's there.

Jim G

CCB420

Reaction score
I also can make out Chicago, at the bottom of that label! At one time, if I'm not mistaken, you could get a few bucks for every nutria tail you brought to wildlife & fisheries, however, if that were the case, I have a hard time believing you'd see too many nutria in the waters!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Is the bottle embossed on the base?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I can make out enough letters that it has to be Reid, Murdoch & Co. They were a Chicago company which produced a wide variety of packaged food.

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I can make out enough letters that it has to be Reid, Murdoch & Co. They were a Chicago company which produced a wide variety of packaged food.
You are almost ceryainly right.
I can definitely say that it says "RE___M__CH & CO. // CHICAGO."
The letter after the M appears to be a U, and the one before CH appears to be an O.
Well done sir!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29