Please Help Me Understand

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Ever since I started collecting some 50 years ago there seems to have been this odd
school of thought...a full, capped, as found paper labeled soda bottle was more
expensive than any other version.

Yes I understand that fakes and replicas are undesirable, but why is there this stigma
about NOS labels and caps on original bottles? As an experienced collector I wonder why.

My first love was archeology and got to visit museums as a kid. Had I saw a display of the
Ark of the Covenant I would have messed my drawers.

It's basically a bottle with its original contents, capped and sealed. But it's not a hundred
year old soda bottle is it? It's thousands of years old and treasured by millions.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Now it is theorized that when it disappeared, the Philistines or the Assyrians made good
riddance of it. I'm sure it all got split up and sold to the highest bidder.

The solid gold lid (cap) went first. Maybe it was even melted down.

1725395221590.png

Then maybe the gold covered box went next. I have a Bobo stool that may have been
stripped of its gold. It's still a Bobo stool. Let's call this it's original label. It was removed
from the container which was just wood after all, and pretty much worthless.

1725395467704.png

Then the contents were sold off, and not really aging well anyway as the language etched
into it was constantly changing. It's believed it was written in Proto-Canaanite. Find that on
Google Translate!

1725395706770.png

Aaron's rod?Just a stick without Aaron. Even with Biblical Hebrew, I doubt you'd get it to work.

So if I find an original cap, NOS label and a period correct bottle that was scrubbed clean, and
filled it an old moldy soda, why would you pay a premium? I'd rather have a pristine NOS label
and cap, and a nice sparkling bottle to display for me and my friends. I'm not running a museum.
If I wanted to, I could split up the group and still make more money than the whole. Why then?

1725396292526.png
1725396334106.png
1725396368477.png
1725396490468.png

Canadacan

Reaction score
I think the problem is people paying a super big premium for original contents and capped, buying from fellas practicing to deceive by taking NOS label and applying it to the bottle, and then artificially aging it. I had a guy send a recent bottle full, assured me it was not leaking when I pointed out it had in the past, he said he gave it the upside down test and all, and wrapped it very very well.
Anways it arrived and had leaked and soaked the label and the gold print all faded real bad. I only left it full because I've had other sent full with no problems, and the seller assured me the label would be protected. Well it was not!...it should have been protected in a different manner be separating the cap wrapping from the label wrapping.
And as I discovered there was a pin hole on the cap.
Well RANT over, and having said that, anyone that pays double or triple the price because its full and original is a FOOL

bottlebugs

Reaction score
Perfectly made point. Unscrupulous venders have sullied the once sought after prize. In rare instances, such as the Vancouver Pepsi bottles, an unknown example appears, making the bottle worthwhile. That being said, if those labels appeared NOS I'm sure they would have been preferred to me anyway. Period bottles, in this case were only used beer bottles.

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
Perfectly made point. Unscrupulous venders have sullied the once sought after prize.
In rare instances, such as the Vancouver Pepsi bottles, an unknown example appears,
making the bottle worthwhile. That being said, if those labels appeared NOS I'm sure they
would have been preferred to me anyway. Period bottles, in this case were only used beer
bottles.
Which Vancouver Pepsi is this you speak of?

bottlebugs

Reaction score
In rare instances, such as the Vancouver Pepsi bottles, an unknown example appears, making the bottle worthwhile.
I

I
I
V

20200106_191552.jpg

bottlebugs

Reaction score
in other words, what a magnificent find that Vancouver bottle was and the only
thing better, to me, would be finding NOS of this unheard of label set...

For example...this is an unheard of bottle that I would consider adding to my collection...
its not perfect but all original and intact...

s-l500-1.jpg

Here are some of my NOS labels attached to clean good condition originals with periods caps
(many of them unused or NOS)...even the ACL KIK is minty..

IMG_0016.JPG

Here's some more...all NOS labels and some NOS caps on period bottles...except the diamond Pepsi label (no-one has one of those that I know of and the repros are obvious)

IMG_0017.JPG

Just a quick FYI...years ago I had a bunch of English NOS Pepsi WW2 body labels
but would have loved to have an Ottawa neck label. I bought a few Pepsi wooden cases
from a guy who was closing his store. They too were WW2 vintage and in beautiful
condition. As I was vacuuming out the cobwebs, a NOS Ottawa neckband got caught in
my nozzle. I just about died with delight! A vintage Canadian WW2 bottle quickly got
married to its matching neck and body NOS labels.

Last edited:

bottlebugs

Reaction score
I'll soon post another, the last of my bottles for now. It'll make an even dozen, as the '54
is put away as it needs some work to meet my standards, and the seltzer, well, isn't really
a cola bottle, is it? I will be attaching a high copy NOS replica of a large sized 1927 US
Pepsi label, on a period quart from Chas Wilson (turns out Hinds didn't produce quarts
in the late 20s for some reason, thinking Wilson did the bottling of those) and a period
NOS green Pepsi cap. I think Zuul will be pleased.

1725488310462.png
1725488344733.png
s-l140.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
in other words, what a magnificent find that Vancouver bottle was and the only
thing better, to me, would be finding NOS of this unheard of label set...

For example...this is an unheard of bottle that I would consider adding to my collection...
its not perfect but all original and intact...

View attachment 257947

Here are some of my NOS labels attached to clean good condition originals with periods caps
(many of them unused or NOS)...even the ACL KIK is minty..

Here's some more...all NOS labels and some NOS caps on period bottles...except the diamond Pepsi label (no-one has one of those that I know of and the repros are obvious)

Just a quick FYI...years ago I had a bunch of English NOS Pepsi WW2 body labels
but would have loved to have an Ottawa neck label. I bought a few Pepsi wooden cases
from a guy who was closing his store. They too were WW2 vintage and in beautiful
condition. As I was vacuuming out the cobwebs, a NOS Ottawa neckband got caught in
my nozzle. I just about died with delight! A vintage Canadian WW2 bottle quickly got
married to its matching neck and body NOS labels.
Oh that Vancouver Pepsi!. That is one of mine. Yes I was pretty thrilled when I acquired that one. The seller I got it from had about 14 of them in varying condition, most on early Dominion glass, and a few on Scottish made glass. I was able to cherry pick two of the best examples!!! Some were missing labels, some missing neck labels, and a few were pretty rough.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Oh that Vancouver Pepsi!. That is one of mine. Yes I was pretty thrilled when I acquired that one. The seller I got it from had about 14 of them in varying condition, most on early Dominion glass, and a few on Scottish made glass. I was able to cherry pick two of the best examples!!! Some were missing labels, some missing neck labels, and a few were pretty rough.
I assume your name is Lang then?

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Ever since I started collecting some 50 years ago there seems to have been this odd
school of thought...a full, capped, as found paper labeled soda bottle was more
expensive than any other version.

Yes I understand that fakes and replicas are undesirable, but why is there this stigma
about NOS labels and caps on original bottles? As an experienced collector I wonder why.

My first love was archeology and got to visit museums as a kid. Had I saw a display of the
Ark of the Covenant I would have messed my drawers.

It's basically a bottle with its original contents, capped and sealed. But it's not a hundred
year old soda bottle is it? It's thousands of years old and treasured by millions.

View attachment 257925

Now it is theorized that when it disappeared, the Philistines or the Assyrians made good
riddance of it. I'm sure it all got split up and sold to the highest bidder.

The solid gold lid (cap) went first. Maybe it was even melted down.

View attachment 257926

Then maybe the gold covered box went next. I have a Bobo stool that may have been
stripped of its gold. It's still a Bobo stool. Let's call this it's original label. It was removed
from the container which was just wood after all, and pretty much worthless.

View attachment 257929

Then the contents were sold off, and not really aging well anyway as the language etched
into it was constantly changing. It's believed it was written in Proto-Canaanite. Find that on
Google Translate!

View attachment 257930

Aaron's rod?Just a stick without Aaron. Even with Biblical Hebrew, I doubt you'd get it to work.

So if I find an original cap, NOS label and a period correct bottle that was scrubbed clean, and
filled it an old moldy soda, why would you pay a premium? I'd rather have a pristine NOS label
and cap, and a nice sparkling bottle to display for me and my friends. I'm not running a museum.
If I wanted to, I could split up the group and still make more money than the whole. Why then?

View attachment 257931View attachment 257932View attachment 257933View attachment 257934
No Proto Canaanite on Google Translate?! How are the kids supposed find anything? Guess we'll just direct them to Harrison Ford. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rob2024sumter