Possible Prototype Mason Jar?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DrSCKnowles

Reaction score
This screw-top jar has a pontiled base, which has been ground flat. The jar is obviously hand blown based on that and other irregularities. I was under the impression that screw top jars didn't appear in the "bottle world" until after 1900, but then read that the inventor of mason jars, which were originally screw topped, patented his invention in 1858, so I'm thinking this could be one of the very early prototype mason jars. I will appreciate any thoughts or comments on this.

Attachments

• areg.jpg
    areg.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 62
  • irregularities near attached screw top.jpg
    irregularities near attached screw top.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 60
  • jar bottom on inside.jpg
    jar bottom on inside.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 57
  • jar bottom on outside.jpg
    jar bottom on outside.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 62

Sitcoms

Reaction score
The suction mark on the bottom of machine-made bottles, can sometimes be mistaken for a pontil mark. I've found that jars seem to be worse offenders, with their suction marks often way off center or only a partial impression left.
The jar you posted is likely from some time between the 1920s and the 1960s, but pinning an exact year or brand would be impossible unless someone recognizes the shape of the jar. You are correct in that it probably had a clasp mason jar-style closure, but plenty of food (and some drinks - I know some apple juice companies used this style too) used this style closure.

nhpharm

Reaction score
The early ones were pretty rough. Nonetheless, I do think your jar had some specialized use as parts of it are arranged strangely and the grinding on the base is unusual. Could have been some sort of battery jar or something to that effect. I'd date it to around 1905-1910 myself.

DrSCKnowles

Reaction score
The early ones were pretty rough. Nonetheless, I do think your jar had some specialized use as parts of it are arranged strangely and the grinding on the base is unusual. Could have been some sort of battery jar or something to that effect. I'd date it to around 1905-1910 myself.
Interesting that you mention something having to do with a battery, because when I first found it, there was a definite piece of iron sticking into the bottom of the jar from the center. The screw top appears to be so crudely attached that it seems hard to believe the entire thing was made by a machine.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
I have to agree with the above comments. The smooth lip tells me it's a machine made jar and some of the early machines were pretty sloppy on the base. Early Mason jars look like this one with the squared shoulders.

Attachments

• 1775 Mason's Patent Nov. 30th 1858.JPG
    1775 Mason's Patent Nov. 30th 1858.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 40

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcrawford51