pre-1900's wine bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chazc50

Reaction score
i can believe that its almost certainly a repro, but is there any way to know how old it is.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I realize this is a possibility but are you basing it on the markings on the prunt? or more than that. If its the markings, is there any chance its an original versus a repro, because this bottle i have is almost certainly handblown and the numerous air bubbles make me wonder if its much older than 1870

Chaz,

I think you're confused on your terms. The seal is not a prunt. And that seal is attached in a fashion that I've not seen before.

The shape is kinda, sorta trying to being right, but not getting there. The finish is dramatic, and non utilitarian. The color is wrong.

GlassWare2.jpg
This is the sort of stuff they sell at the Giftshoppe.

Does this LOOK FAMILIAR?
il_170x135.304971597.jpg

This is the real thing excavated at Jamestown:

ft967nb63q_00007.jpg

"Glass wine bottles from the seventeenth century found at Jamestown, Virginia. Thousands of such
bottles have been found, but they can only occasionally have contained Virginia wine. Most of what
the Virginians drank had to be imported, and much of that was bad. (From John L. Cotter and J. Paul
Hudson, New Discoveries at Jamestown [1967])" From.

chazc50

Reaction score
"And that seal is attached in a fashion that I've not seen before.

The shape is kinda, sorta trying to being right, but not getting there. The finish is dramatic, and non utilitarian. The color is wrong. "

So are you saying i have a "fake" repro? lol. The link you posted to the one on Etsy is certainly very similar, but with a darker color and the J is a little different.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology