Purple 3 piece mold bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Pietro

Reaction score
I pretty much know nothing about old bottles, but this one caught my eye and was quite inexpensive. From the little I know it must be a 3 piece mold. From shoulder down I see no seam. From shoulder up I have pictured seams.
Lots of swirls in the glass. About 6-1/4 inches tall and 2-1/4 inches in diameter. Base is perfectly flat and smooth. Just curious what it is and approximate age Thanks!

Attachments

• bottle 1.jpg
    bottle 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • bottle 2.jpg
    bottle 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • bottle 3.jpg
    bottle 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • bottle 4.jpg
    bottle 4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It mostly looks like a generic medicine/utility bottle, as in it could have been used for anything you might want to put in a bottle of that type.
That smooth base is quite unusual for a bottle of this type though, I'm not sure what that's about. I usually see that on very high quality glass, not utilitarian bottles. It's possible that it served some specialized function but if so I'm not sure what. Maybe some sort of laboratory bottle where it needed to stay absolutely flat?

Age-wise it dates to the late 19th century. The colour has been produced artificially by irradiating the glass, it used to be clear until the manganese in the glass reacted to UV radiation. Bottles with manganese in them will turn light to medium purple in the sun, but this shade of deep purple is very unlikely to occur naturally, someone pretty much would have had to leave it on the roof of their house for the past 140 years.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29