Two Perfect Condition D. H. Smith Blobs, Slick Blob, Torpedo Fragment, 1870 Insulator, and a Broken Codd!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
A few years ago I read a history article which made a brief mention of a saloon built over the water in the 1860's. The article noted the saloon had been blown away in a storm in the 1890's and all physical traces of it were lost forever.

I waited for low tide and using the only known map depicting the structure I hiked far and wide to the area I estimated the location to have been. For awhile I saw no sign of anything, I began to question if my 150 year old map was accurate. But then I noticed something that was out of place... a bottle, an old bottle, sitting on the surface of the mud as if it had been dropped yesterday... it was a D. H. Smith bottle, a style of which I had never encountered before...
20240605_113611.jpg

20240605_113828.jpg

And then another one...
20240605_113950.jpg

20240605_114052.jpg

And then a real heart breaker, the coveted D. H. Smith Codd, broken at the top...
20240605_114320.jpg

20240605_114403.jpg

And then, the bottom of a torpedo bottle...
20240605_115353.jpg

An 1890's Theo Young bottle broken at the top...
20240605_115559.jpg

And then I found something that convinced me beyond a doubt that I had found the long lost saloon. Back then electricity was still very new, but as my research indicated, the saloon had a power line, one of the first in the area...
20240605_121632.jpg

A Cauvet's insulator, patented 1865, patent reissued in 1870. Part of the old power line to the saloon.
As I was leaving due to the water quickly rising I also found a slick blob soda at the last moment.
The prominent finds:
20240605_115744.jpg

The broken D. H. Smith Codd (1878 reissued patent), the two unusual D. H. Smith blob bottles (8 inches tall, 2 and 1/4 inches wide, seriously has anyone ever encountered bottles like this before?), the slick blob top soda, and the Cauvet's insulator (1870 reissued patent, from 55 Fulton Street). I also found countless smaller glass fragments, ceramic ginger beer bottle fragments, and various other bits and bobs.

I will be returning to the site with more appropriate attire soon, better equipped, and as it seems most of the finds are under water - a diving mask, fins, and snorkel. I merely found the artifacts that got swept into the shallows. Who knows what the next hunt will bring now that I know the exact location and can bring proper tools. As the artifacts so far all indicate we have entered a time machine back to the 1860's-1890's era when a saloon once stood over the sea before a storm washed it all away. How cool is that?

Last edited:

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
A few years ago I read a history article which made a brief mention of a saloon built over the water in the 1860's. The article noted the saloon had been blown away in a storm in the 1890's and all physical traces of it were lost forever.

I waited for low tide and using the only known map depicting the structure I hiked far and wide to the area I estimated the location to have been. For awhile I saw no sign of anything, I began to question if my 150 year old map was accurate. But then I noticed something that was out of place... a bottle, an old bottle, sitting on the surface of the mud as if it had been dropped yesterday... it was a D. H. Smith bottle, a style of which I had never encountered before...
View attachment 255613
View attachment 255614
And then another one...
View attachment 255615
View attachment 255616
And then a real heart breaker, the coveted D. H. Smith Codd, broken at the top...
View attachment 255617
View attachment 255618
And then, the bottom of a torpedo bottle...
View attachment 255619
An 1890's Theo Young bottle broken at the top...
View attachment 255621
And then I found something that convinced me beyond a doubt that I had found the long lost saloon. Back then electricity was still very new, but as my research indicated, the saloon had a power line, one of the first in the area...
View attachment 255622
A Cauvet's insulator, patented 1865, patent reissued in 1870. Part of the old power line to the saloon.
As I was leaving due to the water quickly rising I also found a slick blob soda at the last moment.
The prominent finds:
View attachment 255623
The broken D. H. Smith Codd (1878 reissued patent), the two unusual D. H. Smith blob bottles (8 inches tall, 2 and 1/4 inches wide, seriously has anyone ever encountered bottles like this before?), the slick blob top soda, and the Cauvet's insulator (1870 reissued patent, from 55 Fulton Street). I also found countless smaller glass fragments, ceramic ginger beer bottle fragments, and various other bits and bobs.

I will be returning to the site with more appropriate attire soon, better equipped, and as it seems most of the finds are under water - a diving mask, fins, and snorkel. I merely found the artifacts that got swept into the shallows. Who knows what the next hunt will bring now that I know the exact location and can bring proper tools. As the artifacts so far all indicate we have entered a time machine back to the 1860's-1890's era when a saloon once stood over the sea before a storm washed it all away. How cool is that?
Last month there was a thorough discussion on this forum about the Smith New York cod bottle. Look back over older posts to find the info you want.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow that looks like you've got a great spot waiting for you! The three Smith bottles suggest that's what was served at the saloon, so there's a good chance that there are some intact Codds waiting for you underwater.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Last month there was a thorough discussion on this forum about the Smith New York cod bottle. Look back over older posts to find the info you want.
Thanks! I read it, it seems D H Smith was known for using especially peculiar bottles for his time. He was one of the few Americans to bottle with Codds but also bottled in other usual bottles as well. Once the weather is right and the water is calm I will dive down to see how many more there are.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Some great bottles, and it looks like a great spot - the surface mud finds remind me of the older dump I've been digging (where the Necco signs and others have come out of). I'm sure there's more hiding in that mud!

It's also always a great feeling when you put the time and effort into researching a potential dig location, and it pays off! One of the best feelings that you're on the right track and know what to look for.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Interesting story. The Smith blobs appear to be Baltimore Loop Seals from 1890's. Congrat's. Leon.

P.S. kinda Odd, Codd was broken but still had the marble.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Interesting story. The Smith blobs appear to be Baltimore Loop Seals from 1890's. Congrat's. Leon.

Thanks, I found that marble later, it's probably not from that particular Codd bottle as there were many broken ones in very small pieces, I just put it in there to see it roll around.

UnderMiner

Reaction score

I have never heard of the Baltimore Loop Seal until now, and now after some research I am somewhat amazed by it.
images (1).jpeg

It was invented by William Painter, the same guy who later invented the bottle cap. But he invented the Baltimore Loop Seal first. As I was reading the history of the Baltimore Loop Seal I found myself asking how nobody thought to just put the rubber disk on top and crimp something over it, obviously William Painter was fiddling with his Baltimore Loop Seal one day and thought this exact thing, and the crown cap was invented as a direct result. Imagine the feeling he must have had realizing what he had just created when he crimped the first ever bottle cap over a crown top bottle and realized it held the seal.

His main concern with the Baltimore Loop Seal was it could sometimes accidentally contaminate the drink with the bottom of the wire loop contacting the liquid, the crown cap solved the problem but as a completely new invention!
unnamed.jpg

Painter's first patented crown cap opener actually incorporated a Baltimore Loop Seal opener as well, showing the the two inventions were intimately connected and intended to be produced side by side. The world quickly forgot about Baltimore Loop Seal however and made the crown cap the universal standard. Unfortunately William Painter died in 1906 before he could realise just how revolutionary his newest invention would become. So the Baltimore Loop Seal, though long forgotten by many, was a vital though short lived chapter in the evolution of our modern bottle industry.
BLS.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby29